MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 21 November 2011

A Pet's 10 Commandments


Sybil
1. I don't live as long as you. My life is likely to last about 10-15 years. Less if I am a small pet, like a hamster or gerbil. But I will love you in my own, special way whether I am with you for 1 or 15 years or more.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me. I only have clues to go on.

3. Place your trust in me, as I place my trust in you.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you. And often I don't understand what I've done wrong.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice and your gentle hand.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you because I love and trust you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10 On the last difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so. And this last thing is the final, loving, service that you can do to take away my pain, even though it is so painful for you.

Remember the body may grow weak and old and finally cease to be - 
but love can never die
Take a moment today to say thank you to your pets. 
Enjoy and take good care of them because life would be 
a much duller, less joyful experience 
without our four legged family and friends.

Mab

Rum

Nellie
Lexie & Jasper

re-posted 16.2.2016

5 comments:

  1. That was lovely. I expected something funny from that title, but instead this was very thought provoking and quite moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it's lovely isn't it - just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie PetersonJuly 25, 2012 6:16 pm

    This is perfect! Over the year my family has taken in a few stray animals and even more from abusive homes. The latest was a huge German Shepard, who actually adopted us! Just showed up one day on my parents farm so we gave him food and water and love. We are fairly certain he was abused and then cast off (probably because of his size and how much he eats!). He is finally come around and not so afraid anymore and is the biggest love ever!
    We also recently had to put down one of out horses. He was 27 with a bad heart and had foundered badly a few years ago. It was very sad to lose him, but at least he is no longer suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rum and Sybil (above) are rescues - and Jasper is a rehomed racehorse (not badly treated, just retired from racing)

    I know how hard it is to lose a horse as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can "cheat" me any time with animals, Helen! I love them all. We lost our Boxer/Pit Bull (Staffordshire) mix Boz a couple of months ago and I still miss him, with tears, every day. I don't know how long it will take to get past it. He was a rescue, though not abused, only lost. We loved him like crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen