MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 1 April 2019

Tuesday Talk... Editing (or is that 'ead 'itting?)


As most of my regular readers are aware, (if you're not... where have you been?) my Sea Witch Voyages have been picked up by an American publisher, Penmore Press. I am, of course, enormously excited by this, as I feel that I have reached my limitation of 'getting the books out there' on my own. I need someone else to navigate to new waters with my Captain Jesamiah Acorne and his wife, white witch Tiola Oldstagh. 

As with most indie writes, we can write the books, edit the books, prepare the books, publish the books but reach the doldrums when it comes to effectively marketing the books. Which is where mainstream traditional publishers often have an advantage.

The other advantage is the editing process. As Indies, we are responsible for the initial technical edit, the copy edit and the proofread - all at our own expense. (And, believe me, to do it properly is expensive!)

http://viewbook.at/SeaWitch
I have my 'final' files for the five full-length Voyages so far published, but aware that they do have a few missed typos, and I would like to update a few minor inconsistencies, a full readthrough is needed before I forward each book to Penmore for republication. Editing, re-editing (and re-editing! is as much a part of the job writing and producing a novel that is not only good to read, but is value for money for the reader to buy. You would not buy shoddily-made clothes, would you? So why expect readers to buy badly produced novels? Never mind the width - feel the quality!

Re-editing is not easy, however, especially with five books to be done as soon as possible. Not helped when Life or daughter/husband/horses/dogs/cats/donkey/various others suddenly decide that my urgent and immediate attention is required. Or because of the gale-force winds blustering outside a tree comes down and 'ping' we have a power cut. Then I'm at head, bang, wall point...

In theory, no mainstream book would be published without several edits, but as I discovered when the hardback edition of Pirates: Truth and Tales appeared, it had been printed from the wrong, uncorrected file. Which apart from being highly embarrassing was extremely annoying. Not MY fault, but there was nothing I could do about it until a year later when the paperback was due to appear - and another, better, edit was undertaken. All of which went to show that being Indie has a huge advantage over mainstream in that a reprint can be done in hours!

http://mybook.to/PIRATESTruthTale
Professional editing is essential, despite the cost. (But don't use those who advertise online as 'professional proofreaders' some are highly unreliable and even suspect!)  

http://viewbook.at/PirateCode
Would you build a house without an architect? Without one, you might be happy with wonky walls and a sagging roof, but will you be able to sell such a house? In the same way, your wonderful story will be marred by typos littering every page, things such as you’re/your or hear/here; obviously incorrect punctuation and grammar,  (missing ", for instance) and, oh, those continuity errors! I have even read books where the main character's name suddenly changes halfway through! Then there are point-of-view changes, author’s voice and anachronisms to be wary of.

A point worth considering: ar ewe awr tht pple cn mnage to rd sntncs wtht vwls? And the humn ey can mys obvius mstks? [sic].

http://viewbook.at/BringItClose
I have worked with many editors during my twenty-six years as a published author. Most have been fabulous, a few have been – how shall I say this tactfully? Frustrating?
A good editor will:

·        work with you as a team player
·        suggest corrections in a constructive manner
·        point out errors, but not insist on changing them

Twice now I have had an editor who decided to alter my personal style. Strictly speaking, yes, the grammar was incorrect – but I deliberately write that way.

http://viewbook.at/RipplesInTheSand
As an example: “Jesamiah took the bottle of rum from the shelf, drank.” Is how I wrote that sentence, short and sharp, indicating his need for a drink. The editor changed it to “Jesamiah took the bottle of rum from the shelf and drank.” Which gives an entirely different emotional feeling to the situation. I must add, this was not my usual editor. Jo had been unwell, so I hastily found a replacement. Big mistake. What I should have done was put the book on hold and stick with my trusted editor. Lesson learned the hard way!

http://viewbook.at/Kingmaking
Another editor (many years ago!) altered a particular word throughout my historical fiction novel, The Kingmaking. I used “Sa” instead of “Yes” to give a feel of the past. The editor changed every “sa” to “yes”. I changed them all back.

The huge advantage about being an Indie author, unlike a traditionally published one, is that we get to choose our own editors. We can have the pick of the pack, so use this advantage to full advantage! The best way to select an editor is by word of mouth. Ask on Facebook or Twitter, or the Alli Forum, for recommendations. Then ask to see some of a possible editor’s work. Explain what you want: keep in mind a copyeditor or proofreader may not check for continuity errors or “head-hopping” in dialogue, for instance.

http://viewbook.at/OnTheAccount
Find yourself a good editor – and treasure him or her, because a good editor transforms a good book into a great book.

For now, for me, it is back to a re-read of the entire Sea Witch Voyages series, slightly tweaking little bits here and there, and I do, (not at all humbly!) admit, that I am thoroughly enjoying sailing with my rogue of a pirate again through his past adventures!

The Sea Witch Voyages will be out of print for a while from the end of April - if you want to read them, buy them now. (They will be back in print by the autumn, I hope.)

e-book novella
http://viewbook.at/WhenMermaidSings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen