MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Thursday 3 October 2019

Novel Conversations with the Crown Prince, Valerian


 In conjunction with Indie BRAG
#IndieBragNovConv 

To be a little different from the usual 'meet the author' 
let's meet a character:

Valerian


from






Q: Hello, I’m Helen the host of Novel Conversations, please do make yourself comfortable. Would you like a drink? Tea, coffee, wine – something stronger? You’ll find a box of chocolates and a bowl of fruit on the table next to you, please do help yourself. I believe you are a character in Katy Huth Jones’s novel Mercy’s Prince. Would you like to introduce yourself? Are you a lead character or a supporting role?
A: Good morning, Lady Helen. I’m perfectly fine with a goblet of water, thank you. This fruit is quite unfamiliar, and I have never heard of chocolates, though they smell intriguing. Oh, pardon me, I am Valerian, youngest son of His Majesty, King Orland d’Alden of Levathia. Lately, I have been made Crown Prince, though I’d always hoped to become a scholarly monk, instead. I am one of the lead characters and the titular prince.

Q: What genre is the novel and what is it about?
A: The genre is young adult medieval fantasy and is my coming-of-age story instead of my posthumous chronicle, thanks to a remarkable young woman named Mercy. She was raised in a pacifist village, and I grew up with a heart of peace, though pacifism is not a characteristic prized by our warrior society. Through an unusual bond we share, Mercy helps me grow into my role as Crown Prince and find the courage I need to save our land from annihilation by monsters which even the great dragons despise. Unfortunately, the great dragons despise humans, too, but I have no choice but to ask them to help us.



Q: No spoilers, but are you a ‘goodie’ or a ‘baddie’? (Or maybe you are both!)
A: I suppose you would call me a “goodie” since I only have Levathia’s best interests at heart and strive to do my duty, even if it costs me my life. The same cannot be said for my brother’s best friend, Sir Caelis. He is willing to kill or betray anyone who stands in the way of his ambition. And since my brother’s death, Caelis’ ambition is to rule Levathia in my place.

Q:  Tell me about another character in the novel – maybe your best friend, lover or partner … or maybe your arch enemy!
A: I’ve already mentioned Mercy, without whom I wouldn’t be sitting here speaking with you, but I must tell you about my royal squire, Kieran MacLachlan, who has also saved my life on more than one occasion. He is smart, funny, loyal, and the best friend a floundering prince could ever ask for. The only difficulty I’ve encountered in dealing with him is that his Highland accent grows a bit thick when he is under duress, and then I find I can scarcely understand him!

Q: Is this the only novel you have appeared in, or are there others in a series?
A: Though Mercy’s Prince can stand alone, there are four more novels in the He Who Finds Mercy series, spanning several years of my life, as well as Mercy’s. As much as I’d love to live in a peaceful world, things never stay that way in my kingdom, unfortunately.

Q: What is one of your least favourite scenes you appear in?
A: There are several unpleasant scenes, but my least favourite is in the first chapter. I was my brother’s royal squire, you see, and in my first battle I froze from the horror of it and . . . did not react quickly enough to save his life, thus thrusting me into a role for which I was utterly unprepared. The entire course of my life changed in one moment of inaction.

Q: And your favourite scene?
A: This is more difficult, as nearly any scene with Mercy or Kieran is a favourite, but I believe the aftermath of the river dragon attack ranks near the top. My relief that Mercy survived, albeit with a permanent scar, and the startling revelation of our resulting new and unheard-of bond also changed my life, but for the better in every way.

Q: Tell me a little about your author. Has she written any other books?
A: Oh, yes, my author has written many books, including historical fiction, fantasy, anthologies, children’s, poetry, devotionals, and nonfiction. She’s been published for close to thirty years, but the only time she made steady money was while writing for magazines. That’s probably because she has too many interests and has worn multiple hats in her life, including symphony musician, band director, fife & drum corps director, Shakespeare teacher, Little League baseball coach, Martha Washington re-enactor, and seamstress.


Q: Is your author working on anything else at the moment?
A: She is writing another series of five books set in Levathia entitled Mercy’s Children. The first, Dolan’s Bride, she hopes to release by the end of this year.

Q: How do you think indie authors, such as your author, can be helped or supported by readers or groups? What does your author think is the most useful for her personally?
A: My author did not start out to be indie published, but she has discovered that the best help from readers is leaving reviews so others might discover worthwhile books. She does her part to help other indie authors by reading and reviewing their books on Amazon, Goodreads, and through a series on her blog of “Book Dragon” reviews. Upon sewing a large dragon (without a pattern, I might note) she noticed a paperback or Kindle reader fit perfectly in the crook of the dragon’s forearm, so he was christened the Book Dragon.



Q: Finally, before we must bid adieu, the novel you appear in has been awarded a prestigious IndieBRAG Medallion, does your author find this helpful, and is there anything else she would like IndieBRAG to do to help indie authors receive the recognition they deserve?
A: It was a great encouragement to my author for Mercy’s Prince to be awarded the IndieBRAG Medallion. A reputable award such as this helps readers find indie books that have been vetted as quality reads, which is so important in the currently crowded market.

Thank you, Prince Valerian, it was a pleasure talking to you. Would your author like to add a short excerpt?

I thank you, Lady Helen. I have enjoyed meeting you. My author appreciates the opportunity to add an excerpt, though I wish she had chosen a more flattering one of me.

Chatting is thirsty work, would you like a refill of that drink…?
Why, thank you, I would like a bit more water. And, I must admit, those chocolates are quite tasty. I shall have to find some for Mercy. I rather think she’d like them!

Salute! Here’s to being a successful Brag Medallion Honouree!




EXCERPT

Even the late summer sky mourned Prince Waryn’s death; the low clouds leaked drops like tears. Valerian’s horse plodded past the castle gates. Waryn’s junior squire, Drew, and what remained of the men-at-arms followed behind. Because Sir Caelis had gone ahead with Waryn’s body, everyone in the Keep wore black armbands. The guards and servants bowed as Valerian passed by on his way to the stables.
Valerian dismounted and handed Theo’s reins to Drew. The squire wiped away tears and silently led both of their horses away. A messenger raced toward Valerian and fell to his knees.
“Your Highness.” The boy removed his cap. “The king wishes to speak with you in the chapel.”
“Thank you.” Valerian made the mistake of looking directly into the boy’s eyes. First that same sensation of a veil parting, then palpable waves of grief from the lad before Valerian tore his gaze away. Trembling, he ascended the stone steps leading into the Keep. This meeting could not be postponed even for an hour.
When Valerian neared the chapel, the words of the lament that monks were singing for his brother became clear. For the first time in his seventeen years Valerian wished he had not studied Latin so well, for he understood every word:

“In life he was valiant, a prince among princes
Most courageous and stalwart,
A warrior without equal on the earth,
Beloved of the people as long as time shall stand.”

Valerian stepped into the candlelit chapel and saw his brother’s bloody corpse laid out on a bier before the altar. The king knelt at the rail, alone. Valerian glanced around to make sure Caelis was not present and then approached the bier.
You could have saved him, a voice whispered inside his head.
Framed by short damp hair, Waryn’s face was as cold and white as Valerian had last seen it. Someone had arranged his hands across the terrible wound in his chest. Why had they not removed the blood-stained mail and leathers?
Of course, Valerian thought with smouldering anger, it was his brother’s honourable death in battle being celebrated here. Those who died peacefully, even more than those who lived in peace, were scorned in Levathia.
Connect with Katy Huth Jones
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KatyHuthJones
Twitter @KatyHuthJones
Mercy’s Prince on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0115KNDS4

On Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0115KNDS4




INDIE BRAG LINKS:
Twitter: @IndieBrag

HELEN HOLLICK:
Subscribe to newsletter:  http://tinyletter.com/HelenHollick
Twitter: @HelenHollick







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen