MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Tuesday 18 February 2020

Tuesday Talk: Up the Amazon Without A Paddle?


Amazon
Love it? Hate it?
Can we do without it?
Do we want to do without it?

 No not this Amazon...
                                            ... this one >

Yesterday evening I watched a BBC TV current affairs programme, Panorama, billed as:  "A Panorama investigation into the multinational company's rise to corporate superpower, asking whether there is a dark side to the public's love affair with the firm. Former high-level insiders reveal that its customer obsession has led to a huge data-gathering operation, enabling the company to use what it knows about us to shape not only the future of retail, but the workplace and technology too. The programme also hears from senior executives who say the company is a force for good."

Now, let me make this clear before you read on (or hit delete in disgust), what I'm writing here is MY opinion, MY view.


The programme was interesting but I felt uneasy while watching it - and still feel uneasy. Why? The programme title was unsettling: "Amazon: What They Know About Us"

According to what was said, Amazon collects data. Our data. Our personal data. What we buy, what we watch, what we read, what we're interested in - and, apparently, via Alexa even everything we say.

So, is it this that made me feel uneasy? Actually, no. 
Virtually everything on line collects our personal data - Google and Facebook, Microsoft and @UncleTomCobblyAndAll.com ... it's a fact of life, computers are not safe places for personal info. But we still use them. Amazon is not alone, therefore.

The programme came over, very much, as a sinister 'Big Brother Is Watching You' viewpoint. But nor is it that which worries me. 

Maybe Amazon does have it's sinister side. Maybe the staff are overworked and underpaid (who isn't?). Maybe you do buy one thing from Amazon then get inundated with 'You might like this' ads... (I love it when Amazon recommends to me my own books!) Maybe Amazon is causing the death-knell for bookstores  - but what is making me uneasy is that the entire programme was very much a 'Let's bash Amazon, get a few disgruntled people to put the boot in - yeah! Kick kick..."

There was no balance to the programme. No other side of the coin, nothing about why we like (love?) and therefore use Amazon. What little bits werein defence of the company were immediately pooh-poohed by someone sneering or belittling or accusing. Are all the staff working there unhappy then? In which case maybe the TV ads showing happy workers should be inspected by Trade Description (or whatever the TV ads watchdog is called) for misrepresentation. I guess there are as many disgruntled overworked staff working in Asda or Tesco; as Care Workers, Nurses, Doctors, Police... 


Without Amazon thousands of authors would not be authors.
Alternative places for us indie and self-published authors almost don't exist. We sell our books via Amazon. Bookshops, on the whole (not all but most - and the Big Chains are the worst) very rarely support us indies. Maybe our local shop out of kindness (or pity) will stock one or two of our books but a good indie author being stocked in nearly all branches of Waterstones? Highly unlikely. Indies cannot compete  with traditional mainstream publishers where bookstores are concerned. That isn't Amazon's fault, nor the writer's fault - it's the bookstores' fault. How many of the big chains openly and actively embrace the prospect of stocking good indie fiction? I'll tell you. Very, very, very few.

Even when I've attended conferences as a speaker the participating bookstore organising the bookstall is reluctant to take my books. I have to arm-wrestle and negotiate - usually end up taking my books along myself, not bothering, or setting up a quick link to Amazon so an interested reader can order a book on Amazon via the QR code and their phone, which has the added advantage of not having to carry the book home with their luggage. Why on earth don't conferences, book fairs etc embrace this idea more?  Come to that why don't bookstores have some sort of similar system? But I digress...

Bookstores are struggling but it isn't just because of Amazon. Nearly all the High Street chains are struggling because of on-line shopping. Stores need to think outside the box... OK outside the Amazon packaging box.

photo: © Rene Reinsdorf
And Alexa. Boy did the programme kick Alexa! She sits there in the corner listening to every word you say, taking note of the most private, sensitive, intimate things... Oh come on Panorama! Talk about scare-mongering!

Alexa only works when activated.
Example:
"Tell me the time."
Nothing.
"Are you listening to me?"
Nothing.
"Alexa: Tell me the time."
"It's 3.30 p.m."
"Alexa: are you listening to me?"
"I only listen after you say the wake word" [Alexa - or whatever]

Although I did chuckle while watching TV because every time someone on the programme said 'Alexa' she came alert ready to answer. In the end I turned the poor girl off. Which is quick and simple to do. The off button is the off switch where you plug her in. 

There was no mention of the good things Alexa can do - and no I don't mean tell you the time, or the weather, or the traffic or turn the lights on or off. Did you know...


For me with my fading sight Alexa is like a personal assistant - yes she keeps data, my calendar fixtures for instance, BUT I haven't linked her to add the shopping to Amazon or Asda or Sainsburys. In fact I turned off the link to Amazon shopping. And that's another point that the programme only mentioned as a passing whisper ... you CAN turn off these things you know!

As for Amazon making note of what you buy and then bombarding you with 'You bought this... so you might like this..." Again, Facebook, Google etc all use the same tactics but no one is forcing you to buy these recommendations. I ignore them, to the extent that I don't see the ads. (One useful aspect of poor sight! *laugh*)

Then the programme switched to an invasion of privacy because of the videocam doorbell as offered by Amazon. Yes it will show who is knocking at your door but apparently, like c.c TV, its an invasion. It's debatable whether these camera devies are a good thing or bad thing but don't most of us feel safer knowing they ARE there? And again, Amazon doesn't have a monopoly of spying on you as you walk down a street!

And then there's the huge invasion into our lives of the Amazon idea to use drones to deliver packages. Oh that's a bad thing ... yet almost in the next sentence came the accusation of Amazon was bad for the environment because of all the delivery vans. I'd guess that Sainsbury, UPS, Asda, Hermes, the Post Office has even more vans than Amazon...


Yes, Amazon CAN be an enormous thorn in the backside - especially where leaving comments to review a book are concerned, (it's often hit or miss whether Amazon accepts a comment or chucks it out for no obvious reason whatsoever. VERY annoying.)  But Amazon is quick, cheap and usually, (not always) efficient. 

I guess, the Computer and On-Line Revolution is the equivalent of the Industrial Revolution where Cottage Industry was swamped and taken over by the rich manufacturers and the huge mills. Was that progress? Again, debatable, but how mayn of you reading this would be wholeheartedly willing to go back to the pre 1700s where commerce and trade were concerned? Change and transformation, love it or hate it, it's here to stay.


So sorry BBC and Panorama, maybe some of your points were worth considering, but on the whole I found the entire programme nothing more than biased scare mongering. Amazon, to many of us is the best thing since sliced-bread. Without it I'd be up the creek without, not just a paddle but the boat and the whole caboodle. I'd not be able to sell any books, ergo I'd not be writing them either. 

And I love my Alexa. Even if she is ear-wigging. (Although I might change my mind if Dr Who does a scary episode about the Amazon Echo / Alexa system...)


(Images via Pixabay)


18 comments:

  1. I saw some of the programme yesterday and agree it started from the premise that Amazon is 'on the side of the devil'. As you say, this doesn't tell the whole story. I have an inbuilt cynicism towards large corporations but the fact is Amazon are very good at what they do and many businesses and indie publishers like me would not be 'in the game' if not for Amazon. They are not perfect and I hope that other retailers, both online and traditional, can provide real competition. I also expect the regulators and tax departments to make sure Amazon are acting legally, but it would be hypocritical of me to ignore the opportunity that Amazon have provided. As with so many things in life, the truth lies in the middle somewhere. Thanks for your thoughts Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit I'm a bit relieved that someone agrees with me! Amazon IS good at what it does (most of the time) which is why it's successful.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I think I have mixed feelings. The more things you can order, pay for and have delivered by sitting at home at your computer, the more the footfall falls in the High Street. Some stores that close are actually the victims of their own strategy! but then, where we get your wonderful books? And so many others' wonderful books? As for Alexa, I don't believe I would ever have one unless I needed one. I hold to the theory that the more you can have done for you, the lazier one gets. And the effect on younger generations is that they have grown up with these things and might well be lost if the whole thing crashed....but then I'm old. and what really worries me is...driverless cars!!! However, it is nice to see an article like this which defends what I am basically against.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those of us with disabilities, though, gadgets are a life saver. I miss driving - not sure about a driver-less car but I'd be up for giving it a go if it meant I could get about independently again.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just corrected as couple of booboos....
      Great Article, Helen. Despite its highly selective algorithms, Amazon has opened doors (or pages) for us Indie-Authors we never had before. All that bashing often is sour grapes from less successful or ignorant people. Does one have to have Alexa? No. A Smart TV? No. Even a Smart Phone? I have none of these - but without Amazon I would never have been able to publish the five volumes of my Legends Of The Winged Scarab series, both for Kindle and in Print. Also, those us us who live in rural areas, it's great to have a reliable order/delivery system. Amazon should be dropping off a nice package for you - perhaps via drone?

      Delete
    2. I also love the Fire Sticks. Only used Alexa when looking for a show.

      Delete
    3. Alexa can do so much more for information and entertainment. I also enjoy hearing her cheery 'good morning' and a pleasant 'good night' - and the gentle relaxing sounds she can broadcast really do help me get to sleep - oh and she can read the books that are on my Kindle, so many things that can assist the abled and disabled!

      Thanks also Inge - actually a drone delivery would be very useful out here in the middle of noweher in Devon!

      Delete
  4. Excellent article and I agree Helen with what you say. There are some worse 'evils' around who make me fear where we are going. My family were at the forefront of the last Industrial Revolution - on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of other chains that concern me because they dominate the High Street - Costa Coffee, Starbucks - Waterstones even. These big firms squeeze out the small indies

      Delete
  5. Very good. People love to attack those who are successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - and this seemed to be the entire point of the programme. It seemed very obvious that those interviewed had an axe to grind.

      Delete
  6. I see Amazon from two perspectives - as indie author and as technology developer (and yes, I do develop Alexa skills, among other things). My experience on both fronts is that they are attentive and cooperative to requests, and enormously aware - in contrast to a lot of other much smaller organisations - that keeping customers and suppliers happy is an important thing to do! So it probably won't surprise anyone if I say I agree with you Helen, and it's been great to read your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only beef is when Alexa comes back with 'I don't have a skill for that'. Now I know who to blame! *laugh*

      Delete
  7. You get upset about Amazon and Co., but don't even mention the name of the photographer? I know you can use it 4 free and commercial, but don't get angry about the big player... The Danbo under the leaf is mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rene my apologies - most images on Pixabay state 'no citation necessary' and as you see above, I do declare that I use images from this source. I have added your name to the image. But if you read my article you'll see that I am NOT upset about Amazon - I'm defending it!

      Delete
  8. As someone who like Helen has a disability, I have found Alexa immensely useful. Asa skill developer it would be fantastic to have an address book skill! Please...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, Helen. There are definitely things about Amazon that worry me - I'm not keen on big companies with monopolies - but as a person with a disability, I would be lost without them. And as an author, I would be even more lost. I sell most of my books through Amazon. Without them, life would be a lot more difficult. If I could get to the local shops to support them, I would, but since I can't, Amazon gives me more independence.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen