MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 20 February 2023

ME on MONDAY - Today: Cosy or Cozy?

JUST ME on MONDAY

When setting out to write, and then market, my new Murder Mystery Jan Christopher series, I had to sit down and think about making a decision or two.

The prime one was, what version of the spelling of 'cosy' do I use? With the British 's' or the American 'z' (which, as a side note, is said as Zee in the US and Zed in the UK!)

First, what ARE Cosy Mysteries? 

They're basically easy, light, reads without too much specific detail (no description of graphic violence, an implication of sex, but again no detail... 'romance' stops at the bedroom door.) The lead character/s are usually, amateur sleuths, often female, with an emphasis on the characters rather than the police procedure and the crime itself. So Murder She Wrote, rather than Morse.

Often, 'Cosies' are fairly short, so novellas, which are anything from 40.000 words to 70,000, or shorter reads of 80-90,000. The 'novella' type is quite popular though.

This was, actually, my second decision: what length to go for? I opted for around the 40-50,000 target, Quick, entertaining reads (and I confess, quick and entertaining to write.)

The difference between the spelling of cosy v cozy, though, was a bit of a dilemma.

Cozy, with the 'z' seemed the most 'popular' on Amazon, but then most of the authors were American, or at least the books were aimed at the American market. I'm British. My characters are British, the settings are in 1970s Britain (North London and Devon) everything else in the books has British English spelling - so why would I opt for coZy? 

Most of my readers for this series, I thought, were more likely to be British readers (or Australian or Canadian - ex-pats), so British spelling.

I decided, however, to use the 'z' when any marketing was likely to appear for US readers - so anything I scheduled on Twitter that would appear in the late evening UK time, would likely be daytime in the US. I also occasionally use #cosy and #cozy in order to pick up both hashtags.

Just as an example for those who do not know the difference with spelling:

British English retains the spelling of words absorbed from other languages, mainly French and German. While American English spellings connect to how a word sounds when spoken.

So: British English words ending in our usually end in or in American English:

BRITISH   US

colour       color

flavour        flavor

humour         humor

neighbour     neighbor

Verbs in British English can be either ‘ize’ or ‘ise’ but are always with ‘ize’ in American English (so this also applies to the British English Cosy v  'Cozy')

BRITISH               US

apologize or apologise Apologize

organize or organise      Organize

recognize or recognise Recognize

double or single 'L'?

BRITISH      US

travelled    traveled

travelling    traveling

traveller           traveler

and  ‘ence’ or ‘ense'?

BRITISH    US

defence         defense

licence      license

offence     offense

pretence pretense

What is frustrating: Microsoft Word. The default for the spellcheck is US spelling. Try to change it on a document that was originally written under US default...? Forget it.

I have recently had to re-edit some of my old word files for my Arthurian Trilogy. Two of the books were British files, so no problem. One was a US file. Could I persuade the spell checker that I wanted to check the spellings as British UK and NOT American? Could I heck! 

I've basically ended up adding all the British spellings I need to American Word. dictionary!

But for my Jan Christopher series...  it's coSy not coZy.


#2 A Mystery of Murder  http://mybook.to/AMysteryOfMurder

#3 A Mistake of Murder   https://mybook.to/MISTAKEofMURDER

FOLLOW MY ON-LINE TOUR...

https://ofhistoryandkings.blogspot.com/2023/02/follow-my-tour.html


<PREVIOUS ME ON MONDAY 


Enjoy a cosy coffee - bye for now

3 comments:

  1. Interesting article Helen! I have no problem with US writers using US spellings and UK writers using UK spellings. I'm always surprised though how people think one or other is 'wrong'. It's not wrong; it's just different :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Annie, I always take into consideration the nationality of the author before making any sort of comment as to misspellings. I’ve read so many British authors, I sometimes find myself spelling the way you do - even though I’m American 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as avid readers I think we don't notice the difference in spelling - but I do notice things like US 'dove' instead of 'dived' and 'gotten' - and the latest (shudder) 'coronated'

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen