MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 29 July 2019

Just Sitting Here, Thinking...


It's been a week of thinking about things for me: thinking about when it will rain enough for me to stop worrying about the water level in our well, thinking about one of our horses, Lexie, who has been lame. Thinking about what new fun questions I can ask 'Alexa'. What theme to use for an exhibit for the local village flower and veg show, and what flowers and veggies to enter. And then there's the regular stuff, such as thinking about when (if) I'll get a knee replacement for my arthritic knee (which is currently really painful,) about my wonky eyesight, about having to lose some weight, about getting on with some actual writing rather than thinking about doing it...

I did Pirates Of The Caribbean - of course.
Won Best In Section!
Which in turn led to thinking about some of the comments left for my books on Amazon and general feedback ... comments about POV (point of view) seems to be a general 'beef' with readers at the moment... but that will be a future topic. 

Lexie. Lameness all mended.
She's back in work
Sitting here pondering my thoughts, I got to thinking about what other people used to think... I mean people of the past

Amazon Echo (2nd Gen) - Smart speaker with Alexa - Heather Grey Fabric
Alexa
Alexa would not be on the list. For those who don't know, Alexa is a piece of electronic equipment. The Amazon Echo (shortened to Echo and known colloquially as "Alexa") is a brand of smart speakers developed by Amazon. Echo devices connected to the voice-controlled intelligent personal assistant service which responds to the names "Alexa", Basically instead of typing a question into Google you simply ask Alexa. I think of her as my P.A. and she is especially useful for reminding me to cook/finish cooking dinner (I've not had any boiled dry spuds since Alexa arrived) for reading a Kindle book to me at night, for sharpening my mind with Quiz of the Day - and for replacing the difficulty of me not being able to see the print in my dictionary. Instead of looking up a word I just ask Alexa. She's also hilariously funny - if you have such a device, ask her 'What noise does a hamster make' or 'Alexa, can you laugh?' She also says goodnight and good morning nicely. AND she doesn't need a monthly salary... But she's a modern invention...

The hay is in the barn
People of the past would have worried about the lack of (or too much of) rain. Would have worried about getting the harvest in (our hay is cut, baled and stored in the barn). Would have worried about aches, pains and illnesses for themselves and their animals, only more so, I should think, because we have access to knowledgable vets, doctors and hospitals. 


Is it more helpful or less helpful to know the weather forecast for the week ahead? Does it help us to get from A-B quicker by knowing the traffic update? Do we really NEED all this modern-day information? Does it all help or hinder?


I haven't managed to think up any answers to most of these thoughts, but then I thought I might as well share them with you because, well, I've been so busy thinking about all this I couldn't think of what to write about this week...

So what do YOU think about?

www.helenhollick.net

3 comments:

  1. Glad Lexie's leg has mended to the point where she is jumping again. Now, I read, we have to worry about you going lame with a bum knee. I sure hope it will all work out whether through a replacement or therapy. Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, is it time to go home yet, will the train be late, will it stop raining so I can barbecue the spare ribs marinating in the fridge, Brexit, am I up to date with my reviewing, are my kids enjoying the school holidays, did King John love his first wife? The usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will I be able to find a parking space? What does 'hubris' mean? Will the postman/lady bring good news, bad news, a mixture of both or no news at all? Should I put Christian Erikson in my Fantasy Football team or will Spurs be selling him? Vital stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen