MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Thursday 1 August 2019

Novel Conversations with Brigit Quinn


 In conjunction with Indie BRAG
posted on the first Friday of the month
#IndieBragNovConv 

To be a little different from the usual 'meet the author' 
let's meet a character

Brigit Quinn


Tomsk, Girl, Woman, Beauty, Female
from

Q: Hello, I’m Helen the host of Novel Conversations, please do make yourself comfortable. Would you like a drink? Tea, coffee, wine – something stronger? You’ll find a box of chocolates and a bowl of fruit on the table next to you, please do help yourself. I believe you are a character in Valerie Biel’s novel Circle of Nine: Beltany. Would you like to introduce yourself? Are you a lead character or a supporting role?  
A: Tea would be nice. Thank you. I’m not old enough to drink yet.
My name’s Brigit Quinn. I’m the lead character, but it’s not like I wanted to be.
It’s all because I’m descended from one of the founding tribes of Ireland, which I just learned. I can’t believe my mom kept that big of a secret from me!

Q: What genre is the novel and what is it about?

A: Technically, this is considered a young adult novel, because it all starts on my 15th birthday. My birthday wish has been the same year after year—to just be normal. This is not a very easy thing when you live in a small town and everyone thinks your mom is a witch. Instead, my mom told me that we’re descendants of one of the four founding tribes of Ireland, The Tuatha de Danann. They were powerful people who served as guardians of the stone circles of Ireland. My mom also gave me a spellbound book of family history which reveals the magical powers of my ancestors. Powers that could be mine, but I don’t really want them. To be perfectly honest, I’m a little scared about what I might find.
So I have to finish reading this huge book of family history before May Day or Beltane because my other birthday present was a plane ticket to Ireland to celebrate the holiday at the Beltany Stone Circle in County Donegal, Ireland. My mom goes every year and meets up with her eight best friends there. See my mom follows a pagan religion that celebrates the solstices, equinoxes, and the cross-quarter days in between. Now that I’m 15, she says I can go, too. I’m excited about going to Ireland, but I’m not excited about having to finish this huge book first.

Q: No spoilers, but are you a ‘goodie’ or a ‘baddie’? (Or maybe you are both!)
A: I don’t want to be either. I mean, I’m a goodie, of course. But truly, I don’t want a part in all of this magical power stuff. Mom says I have a choice to be whoever I want to be, but I’m not so sure.

Q:  Tell me about another character in the novel – maybe your best friend, lover or partner … or maybe your arch enemy!
A: Well, there’s Tyler McGrath. He’s an athlete and really popular (not like me), but he’s not a typical jerk—I mean jock. He’s in my art class. He asked me out, and now we’re sort of going together, I guess. But don’t tell my mom. I know I have to tell her, but it’s just that he’s a senior and I’m only a freshman, and I’m afraid she might not like it.
And there’s also his grandmother, Adele, who seems just a bit too interested in my family history and asks a lot of strange questions. I don’t think I like her. I get nervous around her and my skin prickles.
Of course, there’s my mom, Celeste. It’s just us. She won’t talk about my dad much, no matter how much I ask.

Q: Is this the only novel you have appeared in, or are there others in a series?
A: Oh, no, I couldn’t have gotten off that easy. I’m in the first book and the third book (Circle of Nine: Sacred Treasures). The second book is a set of novellas about some of my female ancestors. One of them is my grandmother Phoebe. I really liked reading her story, but I’m not in that one because I wasn’t born then.

Q: What is one of your least favourite scenes you appear in?
A: Hmmm, I don’t want to give too much away, but there’s a point when I’m really, really scared because someone is trying to hurt me. I didn’t like that part at all.

Q: And your favourite scene?
A: There’s a scene that is the best one ever. It’s something I wished for forever and ever and it happened! But I can’t tell you because you have to read the book to find out!
Although my second favorite scene is when Tyler first kissed me.
Er – well, I have to also admit that I rather liked it when Bodie kissed me goodbye before I left Ireland. (I know I haven’t mentioned Bodie, but he’s really special, and his mom is in the Circle with my mom, so he understands our family history, and he’s so easy to be around. But he lives an ocean away!) It’s not like I go around collecting boyfriends or anything. The kiss with Bodie just happened and it probably didn’t even mean anything. It’ll be months or years before I see him again anyway.



Q: Tell me a little about your author. Has she written any other books?
A: She thinks she’s rather clever, but I am not certain I appreciate all of the scenes she’s put me into. I’ve had to make some tough decisions because of her! Although, she does give me a bit of a happy ending. I’m not sure what she has in store for me next though, so maybe I’d better wait to decide what I think of her until I know more about that. She does write stories for the middle grade audience as well. I’d rather like to be included in one of those adventures, but she hasn’t asked me to join that cast of characters.

Valerie
Q: Is your author working on anything else at the moment?
A: My fate is in her hands. She’s trying to decide what to do with all the people in my Circle of Nine World because she’s writing a second trilogy. Frankly, I’m a little frightened about what might happen to me and all the people I love. She can be ruthless, and I don’t want anyone to die.

Q: How do you think indie authors, such as your author, can be helped or supported by readers or groups? What does your author think is the most useful for her personally?
A: I know she thinks very highly of Indie BRAG. I’ve heard her talking about it. She’s found that authors are very generous people and are willing to help other authors make a go of it. I know just from watching how hard it is to market books that it’s incredibly helpful to be part of a community of authors who share social media posts and other news to help boost sales.


Q: Finally, before we must bid adieu, the novel you appear in has been awarded a prestigious IndieBRAG Medallion, does your author find this helpful, and is there anything else he/she would like IndieBRAG to do to help indie authors receive the recognition they deserve?
A: Oh, she was so excited the day she received the news. It is such a thrill to know other people enjoyed the story. IndieBRAG does a wonderful job of promoting the books that have been awarded a Medallion. 

Thank you Brigit it was a pleasure talking to you. While your author is adding a short excerpt would you like more to drink?
Yes, please, and I think I’ll try one of those delicious chocolates now.

Salute! Here’s to being a successful Brag Medallion Honouree!


EXCERPT
The grandmother clock chimed midnight in the hallway below my bedroom, and I whispered my first birthday wish, “No shoveling, no shoveling, no shoveling.” The odd shadows cast by the yard light made it seem as though the snowflakes spiraled backward into the sky. Leaning closer to the frosty pane, I was relieved to see only a thin layer of snow on the ground – definitely not enough to shovel, but, thankfully, enough to hide the ashes that had once been our Yule tree.
The tree had been part of our winter solstice celebration on December 21. Twelve days later Mom always burned the tree on top of the herb garden. I was grateful she chose to perform this little ritual in the backyard instead of the front yard where everyone could see, and now at least the ash pile was covered with new snow. Our neighbors knew we didn’t celebrate the same holidays as they did, but I didn’t think there was any point in drawing attention to that fact.
With the exception of torching our tree – and yeah, I knew it was a big exception – I liked to imagine our Yule celebration was like everyone else’s Christmas. It was one of the few times during the year when I felt like I fit in.
As my breath slowly fogged my view of the backyard, Mom popped her head into my room. “Happy Birthday, Brigit Blaise Quinn. It’s getting late, but I’m glad you’re still awake. I have a present I want to give you.”
“What? Now?” My birthday was only a minute old.
Mom carried a wooden box into my room. Her cheeks were pink and her eyes sparkled with excitement. “I’ve waited years to give this to you. My mother gave it to me on my fifteenth birthday, and now it’s my turn to pass it on to you.” She sat on the edge of my bed, and I maneuvered out of my comforter to perch next to her.
“Obviously, you know we follow a different path than most people,” Mom continued.
I nearly snorted at her understatement that the Pagan religion she followed (and I tolerated) was a simple life-style choice.
She paused and seemed to search for the right words. “You remember the story I told you about the Tuatha de Danann, the ancient Irish tribe?”        
“Sure, I like that story.” The magical tales about the mythological founding tribes of Ireland who built all the stone circles were my favorites.
“Right, but the thing is – the Tuatha aren’t a myth. They really existed.”


CONNECT WITH VALERIE BIEL
Circle of Nine: Beltany on Amazon USA or Amazon UK
Subscribe to her writing blog here.
Visit her on her website: http://www.valeriebiel.com/


INDIE BRAG LINKS:
Twitter: @IndieBrag

HELEN HOLLICK:
Subscribe to newsletter:  http://tinyletter.com/HelenHollick
Twitter: @HelenHollick




< PREVIOUS GUEST     NEXT GUEST >  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me do this, Helen! It was very fun to write as Brigit and sit down for an interview with you. Thanks so much for the opportunity! All the best, Valerie Biel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing. I think I'll have to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Valerie, lovely to meet your character. Sounds like a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen