MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 17 August 2020

Shining A Light on: Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians and her author, Annie Whitehead


A series where my guests are female writers 
talking about their female characters
(and yes, I'll be doing the chaps next!)


Today: 
A Conversation between Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians 
and her author, Annie Whitehead


 Æ: Am I interesting? Why did you tell my story?

Annie: You were the most renowned of a very few female leaders. Your country had to wait centuries until another woman became queen in her own name.

 Æ: You watched me from when I was a tiny child. Couldn’t you have waited until I was a grown-up? I would’ve been more interesting then. 

Annie: Oh I don’t agree. I knew how closely you worked with your brother when you were older and I needed to have a look at you as children, to see how your relationship formed. I also wanted to see what kind of a young woman you would be, and what your hopes were, before your father set you on your course.

 Æ: Oh yes, my father. Alfred. You know him as ‘the Great’, don’t you? You don’t talk about him much in the book. 

Annie: Well, he was away a lot, fighting the Vikings, and I wanted to show how that affected you all as a family.

 Æ: I understand why I was sent to Mercia from my homeland. But the Mercians didn’t treat me very well.

Annie: No, they didn’t. And I really think that’s how it would have been. But didn’t you enjoy the opportunity I gave you to turn them round and get them on your side?

 Æ: Enjoy? That’s an odd word. You put me in quite a lot of danger, and more than once. That wasn’t nice.

Annie: Well, those scenes were dramatic and, I admit, fun to write. I had to give you challenges, and a chance to develop. You needed to learn to accept the Mercians, too.


 Æ: I grant you that. Even so, you threw in a lot of surprises for me. And why did you give me such a temper?  

Annie: I’d read a story about you throwing things at the enemy during a siege and I thought that had better be part of your nature. See, it isn’t all about surprises, is it? Some of it was carefully planned.

 Æ: So you had to fit your story to the truth? You didn’t make any of it up?

Annie: I had to make some of it up. Not many people wrote about you at the time, so there were a few gaps to fill in.

 Æ: But you knew which husband I’d end up with, didn’t you?

Annie: Yes, I did. That, at least, is well documented. But I was able to divert your route along the way.

 Æ: Ah, so all the heartache and misery I suffered - you were responsible for that? And the Welshman? Was he a figment of your imagination?

Annie: No, he was real. I’ve no idea if he actually played such a big part in your life, but it was a nice interlude, wasn’t it?

 Æ: At the time, perhaps. Looking back though… Why did you make me live so long?

Annie: I couldn’t mess about with that. The exact date of your death was recorded. Besides, you had a lot to achieve, so I couldn’t cut it short.

 Æ: It also meant I lived long enough to suffer losses.

Annie: I’m sorry for that. But you see, I truly believe you endured them, and that you were a caring woman.  You know, the chroniclers said that after one campaign you lost men who were ‘dear’ to you. Their words, not mine.

 Æ: I’m still not sure why you wrote about me though. I wasn’t a queen, or anyone really famous.

Annie: Ah, but that’s the point. You took on all the challenges of being a queen, and your father, and later your brother, couldn’t have won against the Vikings without your help and, indeed, without your husband’s help. You did get a mention now and again in the chronicles, but for whatever reason, and I have my theories about that, you didn’t really get the fame you deserved.

 Æ: So that’s why you called it To Be A Queen?

Annie: Exactly! You were the daughter of a king, the sister of a king, and you ruled a country. You knew what it took to be a queen. And I think you did it rather well.


Excerpt:

Coming to the edge of the encampment she saw the gates of the town hanging open, one almost off its great hinges. Beyond the open gateway, the Danes, surrendered and surrounded, had been herded together. A Mercian banner fluttered from the watchtower. A thegn on the tower pointed his sword at her and began a victory chant. It was taken up by those below, who all joined in, shouting their triumph in the name of their lady. But Æthelflæd was looking at Frith, who walked towards her with his sword still in his hand, hanging low, dragging. He had blood on his face and his long hair was matted. He had his mail coat on and she gave thanks for his innate tendency to be sensible at such times. But he walked like a wounded man, though she could see that he was whole.
     He bowed on one knee before her. “Lady, Derby is yours.”
     She put a hand on his shoulder. “Tell me. Who do we mourn?”
   His blond brows came together to form a single line above his eyes. Beneath those blue-grey eyes, dark shadows of exhaustion robbed him of his beauty. Careworn, fatigued, speaking carefully through a cut lip, he could give her no more than a list of names. “Helmstan, Ælfric, Eadwine, Wulfwine.”
      The rest of her personal guard.
     “Eadric.”
    She opened her mouth but stood, gaping. What did she think to say? No? You are wrong? I misheard you? Of course he was not wrong; he would not break his own heart with lies. He struggled to his feet and she squeezed his arm. Nodding towards the inner courtyard she said, “Do what needs to be done here. I will speak to Elfwen.”
     She found her daughter in her tent. She wished that she could be like Frith, and give Elfwen a moment more of the world when it was right, before she plunged her into a deep lake where there was no light, only despair. But she knew that her face told Elfwen all that she needed to know. “Daughter, the town is ours. But many men died in the taking of it. Among them was Eadric.”
     Elfwen gasped but shook her head, believing as her mother had not, that the news was false. “No, that cannot be.” But as she spoke, the words, having hit her ears as lies, must have come into her mind as truth, and she fell face down onto her bed and wept.
     Æthelflæd stood still and let her cry out the initial pain, knowing that there would be more, for days, weeks, mayhap even months to come.
   When the first waves had left her body and the sobbing subsided, Elfwen sat up. “How can you stand there like that? Do you not care?”
    Æthelflæd flinched. She thinks I do not care because I do not weep. Once, many years ago, I would have thought the same thing. Dear Lord, I have loved and lost so often that I have forgot what the first time feels like. She took a step forward.
    Elfwen put out her hand. “No. Do not come near me. You are heartless.”
   Æthelflæd lifted her chin and let her head fall back. Her mouth opened and a strange animal cry came forth from her. It rose from within her core, and shocked her with its force. She looked her daughter in the eye and said, “Oh God, if I had opened my heart upon every death and cut out the part that died with them, it would not have the strength left to carry on beating.” She left Elfwen alone with her tears. The girl would have to learn the hard way. There was no other.








Full Guest List






5 comments:

  1. What a brilliant interview!!! Well done annoe. he;en and, of course, my Lady Aethelflaed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Helen for dropping a mic into the room and recording my little chat with Athelflaed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely interview. I'm sure that was she alive today, Aethleflaed would have been pleased with the story you write for her. It was a beautiful book and one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Paula - really glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen