MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 31 August 2020

Shining A Light On: Alison Morton's Silvia Apulia ... Imperatrix of Roma Nova


A series where my guests are female writers 
talking about their female characters
(and yes, I'll be doing the chaps next!)


Today: 

Alison Morton's

Silvia Apulia 
Imperatrix of Roma Nova


A knock at the door. The duty Praetorian in her beige and black uniform put her head round the door.
‘Countess Mitela and granddaughter to see you, domina,’ the young guard said.
I rose to greet them. I was in my private sitting room in the Golden Palace, my home and my territory, but I confessed I was a little nervous. The gods knew why. The first through the door was Aurelia Mitela, elegant and assured as usual and wearing a dark green suit. Her strong jawline and piercing blue eyes were topped by waves of coiffured grey and white hair. Not only was Aurelia the head of the Twelve Families of Roma Nova, a senator and imperial councillor but she was also my cousin, mentor and close friend. It was Aurelia who’d guided and sustained me from childhood, through the Great Rebellion and the years of reconstruction to become the imperatrix of Roma Nova that I was today.
I smiled at her and she returned it with equal warmth, sending and receiving an unspoken message of shared memories, joys and sorrows, but most of all of deep affection.
Half a step behind Aurelia was the newcomer. Tall like Aurelia, the same slender build and blue eyes, but with red-gold hair in waves around her fresh face. So this was the granddaughter, Carina, Conradus’s new love. She looked like Aurelia, or rather as Aurelia must have looked in her youth, but she hesitated, nervous at being here.
‘Aurelia, Carina, welcome. Please come and make yourselves comfortable,’ I began and gestured them to the sofa opposite mine. ‘How are you settling in, Carina?’



‘Very well, thank you, uh, imperatrix. I’m gradually getting used to everything.’
‘And have you been out to Aurelia’s farm at Castra Lucilla? It’s very pretty there, isn’t it?’
Her Latin was simple when she answered, but with hardly a trace of accent despite her foreign upbringing. She glanced round at the stone-walled room: pale blue furnishings with dark blue and oak couches. She stopped at the family photographs on a side table.
‘This is a beautiful room,’ she said. ‘I love the way the photos are grouped under the light.’
‘Come and have a closer look, if you like,’ I replied, keen to set her at her ease. ‘They’re mostly of my children. You’ll meet them soon I expect.’ I lifted one frame showing a baby looking surprised, a laughing pre-schooler and a girl, about seven or eight, sullen. ‘This is Stella,’ I said, pointing to the oldest girl, ‘and these are Darius and Hallie. And, of course, their father.’
Carina gasped, blenched and gripped the edge of the blue velvet sofa. Aurelia shot a look of astonishment at Carina but recovered quickly.
‘Well, Silvia,’ Aurelia said and stood. ‘We mustn’t take up any more of your time. I know you have back-to-back meetings this afternoon.’
 Aurelia would know as she was my chief councillor. We kissed cheeks and murmured pleasantries as they left. But how strange Carina’s reaction had been. Surely Aurelia or even Conradus would have told her…

***

Losing Andrea, my life’s love, to cancer all those years ago, I couldn’t bear the idea of another permanent relationship. But we hadn’t had any children, a double tragedy. Aurelia hadn’t needed to remind me of my duty as the imperatrix of Roma Nova, nor the council to even mention it. I knew I had to have a direct heir; the Apulia bloodline from mother to daughter has been unbroken since Galla Apulia in the late fourth century. My childhood friend, Conradus Tellus, a young Praetorian officer who’d shared the horror of the Great Rebellion with me as a child, had agreed to become my partner.
Conradus was an honourable man and tender lover. He’d become a devoted and affectionate father to our three children. But I would never love him as I had Andrea. A tear rolled down my cheek and I fingered the ancient diamond ring with its dull diamonds that Andrea had given me to celebrate our union. I’d been nineteen. Now in my forties, I had to pull myself together.
 Although Conradus would always remain a faithful friend and, of course, be important in the children’s lives, it was almost a relief when he came to see me a month ago about Carina. He’d come to this very room and helped himself to a large glass of whisky. He’d drunk half of it before he spoke.
‘Silvia, I know we parted formally a month ago, but I felt I had to come and see you before the rumour mill started.’ He looked round the room. ‘It’s so strange coming here as a guest.’
‘You know you’ll never be that. You are the children’s father, part of their family.’
‘I know, but, you see, I’ve met someone.’
‘Great gods! That was quick.’ I couldn’t help myself.
He flushed, pink running up his neck and face to his hazel eyes. He was a remarkably good-looking man with his blond hair and soldier’s fit figure, but his greatest asset was his undoubted charm.  At this precise moment, that had vanished. He took another sip of his drink.
‘It’s Carina, Aurelia’s granddaughter. Mars knows if she feels the same, but I would give the earth for her and go to Tartarus and back if she asked me.’
‘You’re very poetic, my dear,’ and I smiled at him. ‘I’m glad you’ve come to tell me, Conradus, and I’m truly happy for you.’ I glanced away for a moment, lighting on Andrea’s photograph. ‘We both knew our arrangement had come to an end. It could be nothing else. But thank you.’ I kissed him on the cheek and gently led him to the door. He nodded and turned and walked down the old stone corridor out to the public atrium.

***

Now I’d met Carina only that afternoon. I only hoped Conradus wouldn’t be disappointed. He was a few years younger than me and had emerged a damaged and brutalised child at the end of the Great Rebellion. I’d come back from forced exile in New Austria where I’d lived in relative poverty and had to grow up very fast and with the constant threat of kidnap and assassination. 
Andrea had rescued me from loneliness and exhaustion when I had to lead the reconstruction of a damaged people and  ruined country. I’d been terrified I’d stepped through the door of the Senate to meet the weary and sceptical members, all of whom were at least twenty years older than me.
But Carina was a mystery to me. Raised in the Eastern United States, would she ever adapt to Roma Nova and its unique ways? She seemed unformed, but perhaps she would discover an inner strength and outward resolution like all the Mitela women. Who knew what would happen in the future?

Read INCEPTIO to find out!

Ebookhttps://books2read.com/INCEPTIO  (all retailers)
Paperback: https://alison-morton.com/books-2/inceptio/

Why read INCEPTIO?

“Terrific. Brilliantly plotted original story, grippingly told and cleverly combining the historical with the futuristic. It’s a real edge-of-the-seat read, genuinely hard to put down.”  Sue Cook, writer and broadcaster

Tell us more…
"It’s about blood, survival and money"

New Yorker Karen Brown is running for her life. She makes a snap decision to flee to Roma Nova – her dead mother’s homeland, and last remnant of the Roman Empire in the 21st century. But can Karen tough it out in such an alien culture? And with a crazy killer determined to terminate her for a very personal reason?  

Stifled by the protective cocoon of her Roma Novan family, deceived by her new lover, she propels herself into a dangerous mission. But then the killer sets a trap – she must sacrifice herself for another – and she sees no escape.

A thriller laced with romance and coming of age, this is Roman fiction brought into the 21st century through the lens of alternative history and driven by a female protagonist with heart and courage. 

"Eve Dallas meets Lindsey Davis’s Roman detective Falco meets The Hunger Games." 

And who is the author?
Alison Morton writes the award-winning Roma Nova series featuring modern Praetorian heroines – "intelligent adventure thrillers with heart." She puts this down to her deep love of Roman history, six years’ military service, a masters' in history and an over-vivid imagination. She blogs, reads, cultivates a Roman herb garden and drinks wine in France with her husband.

All six full-length Roma Nova novels have been awarded the BRAG Medallion. SUCCESSIO, AURELIA and INSURRECTIO were selected as Historical Novel Society’s Indie Editor’s Choices.  AURELIA was a finalist in the 2016 HNS Indie Award. SUCCESSIO was selected as an Editor’s Choice in The Bookseller. Novellas CARINA and NEXUS and a collection of short stories – ROMA NOVA EXTRA – complete the series so far.

Social media links
Connect with Alison on her Roma Nova site: https://alison-morton.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/alison_morton @alison_morton



Full Guest List






5 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! Thank you, Denise and Helen. I love writing them and am working on the next one which goes back to AD 370.
    Readers like you spur me on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remain in absolute awe of this world that you have created, Alison and more so the way that everything ties together in a plausible and logical way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Richard. I live in fear that one day something won't tie up and we'll have the Kilingon eyebrow incident all over again.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen