MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 19 October 2020

Writing Historical fiction... but what about the bad bits?

                    

I've been writing as a published author for more years than I care to think about. (I was accepted by William Heinemann/Random House UK) in April 1993 - You can do the maths.) During that time, views on historical fiction have changed - back in the pre-1980s the popular writers were Catherine Cookson, Georgette Heyer, Victoria Holt etc. Good stories, but not necessarily accurate history. Then, as the 1990s began to fade, Historical Fiction took a down-turn and lost it's popularity, despite Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe and the arrival of Elizabeth Chadwick and Sharon Kay Penman Barbara Erskine (friends of mine, I must add ([OK name dropping bragging, sorry!]) 

Barbara Erskine, Me, Elizabeth Chadwick

Fortunately, interest in the genre picked up again and is still going strong - but it did change. Accuracy and the overall feel of reality became expected, probably, I suspect, influenced by the expansion of the Internet where factual facts can be easily discovered. (Who uses a library now to look something up?)

I agree that an author of historical fiction should get the facts right...

  •  No, you couldn't smell the sea from London's Embankment in Tudor times (until relevantly recently the only smell coming from the Thames was of sewage, the Embankment did not exist before late Victorian era, and anyway the sea is more than thirty miles away from London.)
  • No, England does not have hummingbirds. (Our smallest bird is the wren fact amended! The Goldcrest is our smallest bird... my fault for not checking, but I always thought it was the Wren!)
  • No, English oak trees are not tall and spindly - that's the American version
  • No, Richard III did not drink coffee...

English Oak

But what about the other things? That unpleasant, nastier side of history?

I've had grumbles from readers complaining that the battle scenes I've written are too violent. (Well, yes, battles were not exactly nice places to be!) Sex, if it is explicit is another contentious issue, particularly when the female involved is regarded as underage. In an historical context, however, many girls (especially those of noble, important families) were betrothed before they were fourteen - often much younger. A woman was regarded as 'old' by the time she passed twenty-five. Life expectancy in the past was nowhere near as long as it is now. Violence, torture, cruelty (hanging-drawing and quartering, bear-baiting, cock-fighting...) was accepted in historical times. Newgate, Bedlam, the Bastille - places where mercy and caring were never entertained. A child could be hanged for stealing a loaf of bread. Women were regarded as part of the furniture - how much do we, as writers, include these 'nastier' things in our novels?

The Roman Empire - slaves in chains

And then there is slavery. I know one author who said she would not read any novel that involved slaves. Another said she would never write anything about slavery. Other novels gloss over the truth, or romanticise it, or elaborate, or dumb down. And now we also have the toppling of statues and the debate about how should this era of the past be portrayed in real life, let alone that of fiction.

Dare I, in a future adventure of my Sea Witch Voyages (set during the early 1700s) write anything about the Slave Trade? My lead character, Captain Jesamiah Acorne was (well, still is, quietly on the side) a pirate. The Atlantic was full of ships transporting black Africans to a life of misery. These poor people were a valuable trade commodity. To be accurate of the period, Capt Acorne should be happy to transport slaves in dreadful condition aboard his ship in order to make a fat profit for himself. As it happens, however, he will not ever do so. My guy values freedom, for himself and others, regardless of the colour of their skin or country of origin. 

But taking a 21st century moralistic view of the past is, I feel, as bad as denying the truth of the awful things that happened. We must talk open and honestly about the cruelties of the Roman Amphitheatre where the spilling of blood and slaughter - of humans and animals - was undertaken purely as entertainment. We must never forget the Holocaust, or the deliberate massacres of those of a different belief to the Christian Church. I'm not a fan of glorifying the Crusades - I think it's time to stop promoting those knights who went off to fight the Infidel as heroes. (And yes, I include Richard the Lionheart here. I detest the man). Murder and massacre is murder and massacre, even if it is done in the name of Christ. Or any god, come to that!

My point, I suppose, is that an historical novel is a work of fiction, but the author has a duty of care to write, where possible, the facts, when they are known, as accurately as possible. And we should not flinch from portraying the facts, even when they do not sit comfortable in our hearts and minds.



 

11 comments:

  1. Nicely argued, Helen. I am writing a story in the Late Antiquity Roman Empire so there were slaves. In a large house it was normal. The Empire ran on Imperial slaves, some enjoying a very high status at the top of the tree and others enduring every abuse and harshness at the lower end. However, they were seen as property of value, so unless they were condemned criminals sentenced to the mines, their sheer value kept them alive.

    But we cannot exclude them from a narrative in any age where there were slaves. Anglo-Saxons and Vikings kept slaves; very few cultures in the past didn't.

    Lindsey Davis is one author who keeps a good balance on this. We are in no doubt about how she and her protagonists feel, but she is true to the first century setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about Roman slaves being valuable property. I wonder if there were any cultures of the past that didn't keep slaves - I suspect not!

      Delete
  2. To write fiction as if everything was jolly and only the bad guys died is just plain dishonest. To specify that it's HISTORIC fiction makes it even worse, because it goes against established fact. Even -- perhaps especially -- fantasy and sf writers who write about times with knives but no guns don't do that. I suppose it's acceptable in the case of books for children and YA to hold back a bit to keep the squeamish and prudish happy (some of the detail of a rather nasty murder was excised from my first book by an editor who I did not want to contradict so early in my career) but let's face it, even prime time tv has bloody corpses as well as live bodies in suggestive propinquity. "There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all." said Oscar Wilde, in The Picture of Dorian Gray. To which I'd add, consider what ISN'T in the book as well as what appears. I'm more concerned with leaving slavery out of nautical stories of the 18th century than including well-written love scenes from any age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you re the content of children's books - YA? I suppose it depends on what age group the book is aimed at (lower teens, yes be selective, upper teens - well they are adults almost) I occasionally get asked if my Sea Witch Voyages are suitable for younger teenagers (they are adult content). I always answer "Does the reader watch Eastenders/Hollyoaks and the like? If so, there's nothing in my books that are not in those TV soaps." (I refrain from adding: 'except mine are better written' :-)

      Delete
  3. Very well stated, Helen. I agree we have to recognize that the values and morals of the past were very different in many ways than those we have in the 21st century (that's how history doesn't repeat itself, we hope!) and we have to portray them accurately. I'll admit I have a hard time reading about some things when I read classic fiction where the authors are, of course, writing in their time and, therefore, showing us the values and morals of their time as they were. I recently picked up a novel by Gertrude Atherton which I was enjoying until it reached a part where the main character showed extreme racism toward a half-sister of hers. Although I recognized the author was showing a character in her time, I still ended up putting the book down because it was just hard for me to read about that. So I think we, as historical authors, do need to show these things WHEN THEY ARE RELEVANT TO THE STORY (sorry for the "shouting" :-)) and accept there will be readers who just won't want to read about that. And that's totally fine.

    Tam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so agree Tam... " that's how history doesn't repeat itself, we hope!" If we didn't talk (honestly and openly) about slavery / the Holocaust etc the horror and disgust at these events happening would not be realised - and as you say, hopefully never be repeated.
      I also agree about some scenes putting me off a novel. I read one that had a graphic scene of bear baiting (_very_ graphic) it sickened me, so I stopped reading. Fair enough to have a scene set at a bear baiting but I don't think the extreme graphic detail of what was happening in the bear pit was at all necessary. I actually burnt the book on a bonfire because I didn't want to pass it on to anyone - and needless to say, never read anything by that author again.

      Delete
  4. Deciding on historical fact in fiction is very difficult (for example, the goldcrest is smaller than the wren), but yes, it's very important to include the warts. It's just hard, sometimes, to separate the warty facts from the hackneyed fictions ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there you go - I've proven my point 'check your facts!' I have always been told the wren was the smallest bird and 'assumed' what I knew was true! I have amended my error above. (Of course I could fib and say I deliberately put in disinformation to see how many readers picked me up on it... *whistles innocently*...)

      Delete
  5. Very well stated Helen! As a reader, I don’t mind little changes to the established history.....but blatant rewriting history and calling it “historical” fiction goes against everything I, myself, believe historical fiction to be. Personally, I believe if you are going to call yourself a historical fiction author, then yes, you have a duty of care to check your facts and portray circumstances (ie slavery, battle scenes, sex, etc) as realistically as possible for your target audience. For me, historical fiction was a gateway to developing my love of all things history and has caused many a late night traveling down rabbit holes because I wanted to know more 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know those rabbit holes as well Kelly! LOL

      Delete
  6. What a great and timely post, diving into plenty of deeper issues, but displaying a reasoned argument. What a breath of fresh air! I agree about showing the nastier sides, although heretofore have focused on the worthiness of the good victims of history...not really tempted to write one of those 'unlikeable protagonist' novels, funnily enough! And I understand not wanting to write about slavery because of hesitations around authenticity, or simply interest! For me, reading others' voices in some areas is the way to go, rather than researching for my own work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen