MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Friday 31 January 2020

Novel Conversations with Richard Tearle and Judith

Join Us Every Friday!
#NovConv
To be a little different from the usual 
'meet the author' 
let's meet 
character...


Judith

not from a novel this time
but from a short story by
Richard Tearle
which he contributed as part of the 
Discovering Diamonds
Christmas Entertainment 2019

Q: Hello, I’m Helen, host of Novel Conversations, please do make yourself comfortable. Would you like a drink? Tea, coffee, wine – something stronger? You’ll find a box of chocolates and a bowl of fruit on the table next to you, please do help yourself. I believe you are a character in Richard Tearle's short story 'Chips and Ice Cream'. Would you like to introduce yourself? Are you a lead character or a supporting role? 
A: Hello, Helen and thank you for inviting me. Er– coffee, please. Thank you and  … chocolates! Well, I really shouldn't, but … thank you. I am the main character although there are really only two of us in the story

Q: What genre is the story and what is it about?
A: I suppose you would call it a Romance. It tells about how I met Edward back in 1965. A holiday love affair. You could say he 'picked me up' as he was a fairground worker. I wasn't looking for a romance, but, well, it sort of fell into my lap.


Q: No spoilers, but are you a ‘goodie’ or a ‘baddie’? (Or maybe you are both?)
A:  Oh, it isn't about 'goodies' or 'baddies' – although (blushes) I was a little 'naughty' … later on! I'm very shy by nature and a bit conscious of my weight – I was the dumpy friend that every pretty girl has, if you understand what I mean

QTell me about another character in the story – maybe your best friend, … or maybe your arch enemy!
A: Edward! Ah, he was so handsome.  I was 17 and he was my first real boyfriend. You see, I'm quite plain, really, but he took a fancy to me. But he was such a gentleman!! He didn't 'try anything' at all! (much!)

Q: Is this the only story you have appeared in, or are there others in a series?
A: Yes, it is and I don't expect to be in any others. But I am, of course, part of this great  series of short stories – A Story Inspired By A Song! (laughs)

Q: What is one of your least favourite scenes you appear in?
A:  It has to be the last night of the holiday. I had all the emotions running through my head, wondering if I had been made a fool of, made too much of what may just have been a regular occurrence for him through the summer season, sad – no, devastated -  that it maybe the last time I ever saw him ….

Q: And your favourite scene?
A: (Laughs) Well, in fact, its  the same scene, sitting on the sands of Margate at midnight, listening to the waves and the sounds of a town closing down for the night. So romantic! And we did make the most of it ...


Q: Tell me a little about your author. Has he written any other books?
A: He tells me he has  completed a novel about Arthurian times but has so far been unsuccessful in finding a publisher. Oh, wait, he has just reminded me that he recently had a story published in an anthology of stories about Richard III.

Q: Is your author working on anything else at the moment?
A: Well, he says that he is working on a novel about a really evil highwayman, but he is very lazy and I understand he has left it alone for too long! He also said that he enjoyed writing this story so much that he is thinking of trying more. But, of course, he tends to do more reading than writing – as you know! 
(HH: Richard is the senior reviewer for Discovering Diamonds)

Q: How do you think authors can be helped or supported by readers or groups? What does your author think is the most useful for him personally?
A: My author is very keen on interaction between authors, readers and reviewers – constructive criticisms can be used by the author for future work, readers take notice of reviews and authors are so grateful for them. For my author, it has been the encouragement from fellow authors, the tips they give him and the suggestions as to how to make his writing better.


Q: If your author was to host a dinner party what guests would he invite and why? Maximum nine guests – real, imaginary, alive or dead.

Ealdgyth – widow of Edmund Ironside, her story is fascinating and she just 'disappears'

Richard III – we need to know the Truth!

Richard III earliest surviving portrait

Billy Connolly CBE – funniest man who ever lived

Billy Connolly Festival Cine Sidney.jpg

 JMW Turner – for some art tips and maybe a quick sketch or two

Joseph Mallord William Turner Self Portrait 1799.jpg

Bonnie Raitt – my favourite singer and a great humanitarian, to provide the music and maybe a duet with Connolly, which could be interesting!

Bonnie Raitt 2000.jpg

Captain JesamiahAcorne – not sucking up! He's a charismatic character with many a story to tell!



Ludovic de Portaveno – another fictional character in J G Harlond's novels – but can we believe him?

The Chosen Man


Dido Belle – fascinating life and we could swap reminiscences of Kenwood House
Painting of a young women

Bess of Hardwick – not many people defied Elizabeth I, was friend to Mary Queen of Scots and built her own house!


Thank you Judith it was a pleasure talking to you. Would your author like to add a short excerpt? Meanwhile, chatting is thirsty work, would you like another coffee…? I’ll have another Gin and Tonic . . .

Thank you for inviting me, Helen! I'm quite shy really but I have thoroughly enjoyed myself. I think I may indulge in a small glass of wine. And another chocolate, if I may?

Of course - help yourself!  Salute! Here’s to writing a best seller!


CONNECT WITH  RICHARD TEARLE
The brilliant Website where I among a number of great reviewers:


Amazon UK
Amazon US


Deckchairs, Sea, Beach, Seaside, Seagull

EXCERPT

I sank into the colourful canvas of the deck chair and closed my eyes. For early September, the weather was glorious; warm sun  diffused by the gentlest of breezes. Edward. Eddie. What was special about him? Why did he make me feel this way? Indeed, what exactly did I feel about him? It couldn't be love; love grew, didn't hit you like an express train. The term 'crush' is well named; I felt as though my heart was squeezed from all angles. And it hurt. Even through closed eyes covered by sunglasses I saw his face. His expressions when he spoke, his lips when he smiled, his eyes when he kissed me. Ouch! My heart groaned as another barb lanced home.
I drifted into a snooze to a symphony of squawking seagulls, gentle surf, excited cries of children who surely should be back at school by now. Intermittent pop music from tinny transistor  radios. For how long I lay like that I don't know, but I actually felt the shadow over my face. Even before he spoke, I knew who cast that shadow.
“'Ello Judy. Whatcha readin'?
Be still my heart! Why did it jump like that? I wasn't a fan of Mills & Boon but suddenly I understood them so much better.
I removed my sunglasses and touched the open book resting cover upwards on my lap. “Jane Eyre,” I said. “My favourite book. Ever.”
Eddie sat down on the sand beside me. “Not my sort. I like some action. James Bond. Yeah. Sex, sadism and snobbery, that's what it says on the covers! Can I get you an ice cream?”
I perked up. “Let me pay,” I pleaded. “You bought me chips last night, after all.” I fished in my purse. Eddie stood up. “I'll go get them,” he said as he took the money from me. What do you want?”
“A '99'” I confirmed.
“Right. Be back in a jiffy. Don't go away.”
As if.


Read the whole story here! (link goes to Discovering Diamonds)



< PREVIOUS GUEST     NEXT GUEST >  

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for inviting me, Helen - I enjoyed our chat and my '5 minutes of fame' as the heroine of a story
    Sincerely.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Judith, watch out for guys named Edward. I just hope your young man isn't one of "them" [con men]. First love for a plain girl is always a sweet story.
      Richard, what a guest list! Admit it, you did a bit of sucking up inviting Jesamiah (though who can blame you; he is such a great character).

      Delete
    2. Thank you Inga! Fortunately, this Edward turned out alright ... I thought Jesamiah and Ludo would get on very well together discussing nautical stuff and maybe a cunning plan or two. Either that or one would challenge the other to a duel for remarks made!

      Delete
    3. I'd hate to think of what could happen if my Jesamiah, J G Harlond's Ludo and Inge's Edward all got together! Mind you Alison Morton's Conrad would probably appear on the scene to sort them out with stern Roma Nova justice - or Susan Grossey's Constable Sam Plank will appear...*laugh*

      Delete
    4. I could only hope that "my Edward" would receive a sound thrashing for his dastardly deeds which took me four volumes to mete out. My penny is on Conrad - although I think Jesemiah would lend a gleeful hand for sure.

      Delete
  2. Oh, boy, Ludo and Jesamiah at the same table with Billy Connolly! Will anybody be in a fit state to eat anything? What those three could cook up together doesn't bear thinking about. Lovely interview, Judith. Shame your author isn't more active as a writer, but he is a much-appreciated reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun, wouldn't it!!! And thank you for your support

      Delete
    2. Totally agree re Richard and writing Jane. Richard you are brilliant at thee sort of short stories!

      Delete
    3. Oh my Word!!! Thank you, Helen so much, that means such a lot to me ... xx

      Delete
  3. Apologies for not being here yesterday - wrenched my knee so spent the day with my feet up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen