MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Friday 27 March 2020

A Novel Conversation with Katherine Pym and Lady Sara Kirke

Join Us Every Friday
#NovConv
To be a little different from the usual 
'meet the author' 
let's meet 
character...

 Lady Sara Kirke
from

35184873. sy475

Q: Hello, I’m Helen, host of Novel Conversations, please do make yourself comfortable. Would you like a drink? Tea, coffee, wine – something stronger? You’ll find a box of chocolates and a bowl of fruit on the table next to you, please do help yourself. I believe you are a character in Katherine Pym’s novel Pillars of Avalon. Would you like to introduce yourself? Are you a lead character or a supporting role?  
A: Good morning. Thank you so much for having me. I am Lady Sara Kirke, and a leading role in Pillars of Avalon. Nothing to drink, thank you.

Q: What genre is the novel and what is it about?
A: Pillars is historical fiction, and about my husband and I, Sir David Kirke. We truly existed during the 17th century. I was born in London, while David was born in France to an Englishman and vintner.

Q: No spoilers, but are you a ‘goodie’ or a ‘baddie’? (Or maybe you are both?)
A: I am a ‘goodie’ who will not bow down to my husband.

Q: Tell me about another character in the novel – maybe your best friend, lover or partner … or maybe your arch enemy!
A: David is my husband, and we knew each other as children. He was given a Royal Letter of Marque to rampage the coast of Canada into New France, but when he returned with prisoners and Champlain, he was forced to return the prizes. It infuriated him, yet the king (King Charles I of England) would not tell him why. It took many years to learn the truth.

Q: Is this the only novel you have appeared in, or are there others in a series?
A: The only novel. My author made it very final, although I must say, my name continues on to this day. I am considered the foremost North American female entrepreneur, and an annual award is given to Canadian women in my name. This is a very proud moment for me.

Q: What is one of your least favourite scenes you appear in?
A: My brother-in-law treats me very ill, yet I do not know the reason for it. Those scenes are difficult for me, especially when he verges on the violent.  

Q: And your favourite scene?
A: Our wedding, conducted from the Book of Common Prayer 1549. David’s growing fear and panic before the priest and congregation were quite humorous. Silly fellow. I don’t know what he could have been afraid of. After all, I’m not a harridan.

Q: Tell me a little about your author. Has she written any other books?
A: Katherine Pym has written several historical fiction books set in the 17th century. The fact she found David and me was very fortuitous. She was tasked to produce a novel of historical Canada, Newfoundland, and through her research, my husband’s name popped up, then my name as an entrepreneur. It was an opportunity she could not pass by.

Q: Is your author working on anything else at the moment?
A: Yes, and it is very different from her other works, based on ancient Sumer 5000 BCE. It is amazing how many scholarly papers are available, how kind the authors are when you contact them. Ancient Sumeria a fascinating time, a time if there was time travel, Katherine would pop into that time frame to see and feel and smell what truly went on.


Q: If your author was to host a dinner party what guests would she invite and why? Maximum nine guests – real, imaginary, alive or dead.
A : Considering her eclectic mind, she would like to talk to a few diverse people.

Benjamin Franklin as long as he controlled himself and did not play the bloody lecher.
Benjamin Franklin by Joseph Duplessis 1778.jpg

Winston Churchill. Katherine would be careful what she said so that he did not volley a cutting remark at her.

Churchill wearing a suit, standing and holding a chair

Queen Elizabeth I to see what she was really like, if she were in a constant state of annoyance because her gowns were too uncomfortable.


Marie Antoinette during her later years, before her arrest. Katherine considers Marie had more going on than met the eye.



Thank you Lady Kirke, it was a pleasure talking to you. Would your author like to add a short excerpt? 




CONNECT WITH Katherine Pym



EXCERPT: 
Chapter 2, Pillars of Avalon by Katherine Pym, with Jude Pittman

The calm waters of morning had quickly changed. David stood in his cabin with his back to the leaded-light windows as rain pummelled the galleries. Lightning slashed and the crack of thunder made the ship shudder. Lewis leaned against the elaborate wall panelling while Thomas remained sullen and closed, as always. His eyes half shuttered, he folded his arms across his chest.
David smiled grimly. “The old devil, Champlain, is not pleased we sent fishermen to conduct our business. He wonders at greatly where we reached the conclusion that his small compound is in dire straits. He has plenty of foodstuffs and munitions, and welcomes an attack on his fort if we’ve the cods to do it.”
Lewis reached for the letter. “We don’t have enough men or gunfire to engage in a long battle with Québec.” He read the contents and grinned. “He’s a wily old fellow. I’d wager he’s lying.” He released the paper and it fluttered onto the table.
“What say you, Thomas?” His brother’s silence vexed him to the gut most days. “Don’t stand there like a damned stick. Give us your thoughts.”
“I agree with Lewis.”
“Which part?” David hollered. “Do you think they are in a troublesome brew or that Champlain is lying?”
“We aren’t equipped to fight him.”
David growled. He pressed his hands on either side of Champlain’s letter and studied the words. He looked for something hidden, a message that would give him a yea or nay. “I wish we could send someone up there.”
“We do not stink of bear fat and would be noticed immediately.”
David sliced a glance at Lewis, a merry droll and so much different from Thomas. He could only surmise their younger brother, who took after their grand-père and had been a difficult man, was made of the same ilk.
Frustrated Lady Fate may have deserted him, David straightened. “Then we shall weigh anchor and leave.” Thunder rumbled. “After this storm.”
Thomas stepped to the table and unrolled a map. “Let us find the French fleet. Summer is half over. They should be close.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen