MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Tuesday 10 March 2020

Tuesday Talk: Are You Actively Assisting Authors?


There's an ongoing dilemma for most authors, indie (independent or self-published) in particular. How to generate interest in our books without boring the pants off people we want to interest. 

It's a bit of a puzzling conundrum. 


For the big authors (enter your own personal favourites here xxxx) the publishing companies go all out to handle the marketing. Adverts pop up all over the internet, magazines, newspapers - even on the actual TV news (how often did we hear about the release of the latest Harry Potter?) And the ongoing high-level media hype leads to a film or TV deal... more free advertising for the author (whilst earning substantial sums of money into the bargain.) But no, I'm not grumbling or moaning (just sitting here nurturing a tiny bit of jealousy...) 

For most of us 'smaller writers' it isn't about making money (although that would be nice). It is about covering the cost of producing our books - indie writers pay for all our own editing, cover design, isbn numbers advertising and often for the actual process of publication if we use a company to do this rather than the D.I.Y option. For instance some of my books are produced (very, very nicely) by SilverWood Books Ltd - they do all the technical stuff involved in getting my books into print. All the things I can't do because I don't have the time or know-how to do it. But it doesn't matter how a book is produced if no one knows about our books, our characters remain invisible.

(I looked for an invisible graphic
 to use - but couldn't see one...)
And it's that 'if no one knows about it' that is the dilemma.

Too much of 'Buy my book' or 'read my book' puts many people off - and anyway these mostly appear on Twitter and Facebook so we're only preaching to the converted - those lovely readers (like you) who have already read and enjoyed our books. What we need (to keep our morale up and lull us into thinking all this hard work IS worthwhile) is solving the puzzle of how to reach new readers.


Part of the marketing puzzle is Time. I enjoy writing these sort of blog posts, sending out my newsletters, putting interesting things on social media - but that means I don't get time to write (and I'm already w..a...a...y... behind with the sixth Sea Witch Voyage, Gallows Wake.

I enjoy helping other authors where I can - that's why I started Discovering Diamonds a review blog for historical fiction (a HUGE thank you to the wonderful group of people who are on the #DDRevs team - you're all brilliant!) 

I also try to think of innovative ways to promote authors: For instance -

I have a new mid-week 



on Discovering Diamonds, where I post a quick snapshot of a different author  and their work every Wednesday ... take a look at the first 'guest slot' (Susan Grossey and her Georgian Constable Sam Plank mystery series)


And then I have: 


which is an idea I had a while ago where I interview not the author but a character. (Here's the interview I did with 'my' Queen Emma  

So why am I telling you all this? Well, basically, it's a plea. (OK I'm begging...)... (it works for dogs...)


Can I ask you to show your appreciation for the authors who  provide you with great entertainment? For myself (of course), the authors I try to support - or ANY author come to that?

All you have to do is

  • Retweet  or Share when you see our interesting posts on social media.
  • Leave a brief comment or review on Amazon (I haven't had a new review for The Kingmaking for quite a while now...) and best of all 
  • Tell your friends about 'A Good Read' - word of mouth is the best way to 'spread the word'. 

If you told 2 people about my books that's 2 more potential readers
and they told 2 people (that's 4 more potential readers)
who told 2 people - that's 8 more potential new readers
who told 2 people - that's 24 more potential new readers
who told 2 people - that 48 more potential new readers
who told 2 people - that's 96 more potential new readers
etc...

we'd eventually end up with a stadium full of potential new readers!


well, we authors can but dream...

6 comments:

  1. You have hit the nail on the head, Helen. Too few people realise that Indie authors are truly great writers. I have rather neglected my own blog lately due to life issues interrupting, but I only feature Indie authors as my guests and only post my reviews of Indie books. DDRevs is the foremost review site for Indie books/authors, but is it enough? I do know for a fact that it sells a lot of otherwise overlooked books/ Tweeting and 'Sharing' is a great way to pass on information and I do that often. But we need to get that culture 'out there' somehow ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard - Life can be bloomin' annoying can't it? *laugh*

      Delete
  2. Well said, Helen, but I have to confess to be a little guilty myself - as sometimes a review that I should have written slips through the net. (Note to self - must try harder - key is to write the review as soon as or near to when I finish a book, before other things crowd into my mind and push it to the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For authors leaving reviews also does some 'self marketing' - leave for others and they are likely to leave for you.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful article, Helen. You are a true champion of authors! Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all you do! Sharing this article...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a bit guilty as I think my comments about leaving Twitter are partly the impetus for this post! It is an ongoing dilemma for us all, getting ourselves known outside the indie "echo chamber", but if anything is going to achieve that, it's determined initiatives like yours, with the Discovered Diamonds, Guest Spots and Novel Conversations - all of which have benefited me.

    For my part, I am dreadful at leaving reviews and will promise to be better - as ever, it comes down to time, and fitting in the reading, writing, research and reviewing around my full-time job (but I cannot expect anyone to spend time on me if I don't reciprocate).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen