MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Sunday 20 February 2022

Daughter of the King - Kerry Chaput my Monday Morning Coffee Pot Book Club Guest


Welcome to my Blog!
Wander through wonderful worlds
real and fictional,
meet interesting people,
visit exciting places
and find a few good books
to enjoy along the way!


When research takes you on your own adventure…

While researching my husband’s French-Canadian ancestry, I experienced the thrill of a main character in one of those dual timeline historicals, discovering secrets and wild stories like a little puzzle. His entire family is from Quebec, but no one knew where in France they emigrated from. I set out to surprise him with a Christmas present of his family tree. What I got instead were the makings of a historical fiction series. 

Quebec keeps amazing records. As I read about the history of French Canada, I discovered stories of the first settlers and original families that left France for a life in the new world. I also discovered the story of the Filles du Roi (Daughters of the King) — poor, orphaned women King Louis XIV paid to help populate Canada. I began researching these women and knew instantly that I was meant to write a book about them. I carefully followed the records in my husband’s family, hoping to find that little fleur-de-lis symbol to indicate that my own daughters are descended from one of these amazing women. 

I didn’t find one. I found thirty-three. 

I was ecstatic to discover that much of his family came from Normandy, as my husband is a WWII buff and D-Day is the part of the war that most intrigues him. It got me thinking — is our history somehow in our DNA? Did he care about that location because he knew it meant something special to his past? I don’t know, but it felt serendipitous. 

Caught on one side of his ancestral line, I asked about his family. Turns out that there was a secret affair somewhere along the line and someone’s father wasn’t their real father! Well, color me interested. I poked around to older family members and discovered that they knew of this affair and provided the name of the man who was most likely the father (a local politician from their town). I set to work researching this man and I was blown away to see images of him and his son who look extremely similar to my husband’s family. I researched that man’s line (also from Quebec) and discovered dozens more Filles du Roi. I was able to trace that side all the way back to the royal family of Brittany, kings and queens and dukes and duchesses. This line included Julius Caesar and Constantine. I wrote until my hands cramped! 

I learned about La Rochelle, and the Huguenots that suffered tremendously. Several Filles du Roi decided to convert from Protestantism to Catholicism so they could become Daughters of the King and start a new life in Canada. I imagined how incredibly brave they must have been. I knew that my protagonist would be a Huguenot from La Rochelle. So began research into the wars of religion and theology as my main character (Isabelle) started to come to life. Research for this novel was more like a fact-finding adventure about our family. I have this wonderful knowledge to carry on to my daughters about the incredible women they are descended from. It kept the story close to my heart and writing the book meaningful to me. 

Daughter of the King is book one of the Defying the Crown Series. Isabelle’s adventure is also my own adventure through our fascinating past. If you haven’t searched your genealogy yet, what are you waiting for? You never know what you’ll find…


About Daughter of the King

La Rochelle France, 1661. Fierce Protestant Isabelle is desperate to escape persecution by the Catholic King. Isabelle is tortured and harassed, her people forced to convert to the religion that rules the land. She risks her life by helping her fellow Protestants, which is forbidden by the powers of France. She accepts her fate — until she meets a handsome Catholic soldier who makes her question everything.

She fights off an attack by a nobleman, and the only way to save herself is to flee to the colony of Canada as a Daughter of the King. She can have money, protection and a new life — if she adopts the religion she’s spent a lifetime fighting. She must leave her homeland and the promises of her past. In the wild land of Canada, Isabelle finds that her search for love and faith has just begun. 

Based on the incredible true story of the French orphans who settled Canada, Daughter of the King is a sweeping tale of one young woman’s fight for true freedom. Kerry Chaput brings the past to life, expertly weaving a gripping saga with vivid historical details. Jump back in time on a thrilling adventure with an unforgettable heroine.

Trigger Warning:
Violence, sexual assault.

Buy
Read for free with #KindleUnlimited subscription.





Born in California wine country, Kerry Chaput began writing shortly after earning her Doctorate degree. Her love of storytelling began with a food blog and developed over the years to writing historical fiction novels. Raised by a teacher of US history, she has always been fascinated by tales from our past and is forever intrigued by the untold stories of brave women. She lives in beautiful Bend, Oregon with her husband, two daughters, and two rescue pups. She can often be found on hiking trails or in coffee shops. 

Social Media Links:



Follow the Tour
Twitter Handle: @ChaputKerry @maryanneyarde
Hashtags: #HistoricalFiction #kerrywrites #BlogTour #CoffeePotBookClub
Tour Schedule: 



note: Helen has not yet read this title - it is on her TBR list though!

*** *** 

You might also like 

books written by Helen Hollick 

Website: https://helenhollick.net/

Amazon Author Page: https://viewauthor.at/HelenHollick 


The Jan Christopher Cosy Mysteries
set in the 1970s

from Amazon :
https://getbook.at/MirrorMurder


With RICHARD TEARLE




~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen