MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Friday 12 April 2024

Creative Crocks Week: today - Jean Gill and the 'f' word (no not that one!)


Jean Gill

Welcome to my Blog!
Wander through wonderful worlds
real and fictional,
meet interesting people,
visit exciting places
and find a few good books
to enjoy along the way!



















No disrespect to the authors taking part this week - but we're all of 'an advanced age' and several of us have various aches, pains and health issues, but we keep writing and although we might come under the heading 'aging crocks' we've amassed a good bit of writing wisdom and are still very much creative where our author's imagination is concerned.

So, let's meet another Creative Crock...

2024 Jean with Artemis, the Doggess.

Jean Gill: Creative Crock

A Writing Career in Seven Decades

At 68, I’m not sure I’m old enough to be a ‘creative crock.’ Despite the evidence of my pension and senior rail card, despite my bafflement at physical complaints – and believe me, my body complains! – I find it hard to believe that I’m included in such inspiring company. But when I look back, maybe I have earned my place.

So, what’s my story? How did I become a multi-genre author, best known as a historical novelist, with twenty-six books published so far?

Decade 1: from seven years old, I discovered the joy of making up stories, writing about my hamster or the charms on my bracelet coming to life. I typed up some of my masterworks on the heavy machine in Daddy’s office. He was an RAMC officer, responsible for a military hospital in Berlin at that time. Books were my friends and writers were magical beings.


Cover and sample page (below) from
Jill’s Stables : a novel by 11 year-old
Jean Gill (then Jean Taylor)

Decade 2: from dazzling success to the end of writing dreams at university. At age eleven, my purple prose ‘Storm at Sea’ was published in the school magazine and I also wrote my first novel, ‘Jill’s Stables’, a hand-illustrated melodrama in twelve chapters. Then teenage angst flowed from my Parker fountain pen into private notebooks until university taught me by example (lack of) that literature was not written by women. I was silenced.

Decade 3: my turbulent twenties and a job I loved, teaching English in the sort of Welsh Comprehensive School usually described as ‘bog-standard’. As a fan of wild wetlands and even wilder kids, I can tell you that no bog is standard. Personal highs and lows turned into poetry. I took inspiration from Stevie Smith and Colette.

1996 Jean Gill Headteacher and President of the
Old Boys’ Association
of Graig Comprehensive School
 (previously Llanelli Boys’ Grammar School)

Decade 4: the ‘go for it’ years. I read my work at a ‘Poems and Pints’ evening in Pembroke and was invited by the two men organising it to join them as West of Whitland Poets. Teachers by day and rock stars by night, in libraries, festivals and schools (not our own institutions, where we were still ‘Sir’ and ‘Miss’). My poems were published in many journals and 1988 saw my first book go public: ‘With Double Blade’ (The National Poetry Foundation). I did not sell millions but I did start calling myself a poet.

Decade 5: At 40, I gave up sugar in hot drinks, I became the first woman comprehensive school Headteacher in my Welsh County, Dyfed, and I wrote my first novel. Giving up sugar was the hardest of those achievements. I wrote more books. I became English and Literacy Advisor for 3-19 year-olds in Neath Port Talbot, a county with 83 schools and no bookshop.

Four books published, another three written and a drawer full of hundreds of rejections. Each new genre meant starting again to find a publisher and rejections were a painful education in professional courtesy (lack of) and years passing. But the books insisted on being written and my man had reached retirement age so I gave up my consultancy work and we moved from rainy Wales to sunny Provence (material for my memoir ‘How Blue is My Valley’).

Decade 6 and 7, ongoing: Self-publishing became a thing in 2011 and it was MY thing! 26 books later, I have found the publisher of my dreams – me – and reached more than 150,000 readers. Thanks to my professional partners, cover designer Jessica Bell and editor Lorna Fergusson, and to my treasured author networks – including Helen Hollick, on whose blog I’m a guest today -  I have the best support and advice I could imagine. And such inspiring friendships!

As an older writer, especially of medieval fiction, I have priceless assets earned through the decades by Young Me. I can tap into a wealth of experience and stories, not just my own, but also those of all the people I’ve known, and all the characters in the thousands of books I’ve read. The language of the past in which many of those books is written is a barrier to those born this century but I can time-travel with relative ease in both English and French.

So many of my memories are closer to medieval lifestyle, than to the high-tech present. Even in medieval towns, people were connected to the land and its farming calendar in a way that today’s urban dwellers are not. I know what it feels like to make hay or milk a goat, to keep chickens and collect eggs, or to gather kindling and lay a daily fire. I also remember the common mores of the British Christian past: being bored stiff by Sunday restrictions, getting lectures about virginity and marriage, and being told why a girl cannot do all the activities that Young Me wanted to do. These memories, as well as my research, help me write from a medieval point of view, not just as a modern person in fancy dress.

Young Me is still part of me but maturity has brought some benefits. I do still care about others’ opinions but I care more about my own. The f-word has lost its power to hurt. No, not the one I use when struggling with metadata and formatting errors but the word ‘failure’. If I hadn’t ‘failed’ as a writer, never getting a big publishing contract, I would not have the freedom I have now. ‘Freedom’ is my favourite f-word and, thanks to being a pensioner, I have the time, as well as the creative and financial freedom to write whatever books insist on being written, to my own deadlines.

I can define success in my own terms and am accountable only to myself, not to a publisher disappointed in my sales figures compared with Author X. I am accountable to myself. Isn’t that true of us all, in the end?

Right – I’ve spent enough time looking back and I need to go sailing in a Viking dragon ship again for Bk 3 of ‘The Midwinter Dragon’ series. With a fair wind and the Norns on my side, it will be a quartet and after that, we’ll see what new adventures come my way!


Bio
Jean Gill is an award-winning Welsh writer and photographer living in the south of France with two scruffy dogs, a beehive named 'Endeavour', a Nikon D750 and a man. For many years, she taught English and was the first woman to be a comprehensive school headteacher in Wales. She is mother or stepmother to five children so life was hectic. 
Join Jean's special readers' group at https://www.jeangill.com for private news and exclusive offers.

Jean’s latest historical literary adventure series is a return to the 12th century where she set her Troubadours books. This time, she’s in Viking Orkney with skalds instead of troubadours and Viking warriors instead of crusaders. Get ready for authentic medieval adventures steeped in poetry, politics and passion. Perfect for fans of Bernard Cornwell, Matthew Harffy and Madeline Miller.

 


Get ‘The Ring Breaker’

https://www.books2read.com/Orkneyjar

© Photos – Jean Gill


 
*** *** 

You might also like 

books written by Helen Hollick 

Website: https://helenhollick.net/

Amazon Author Page: https://viewauthor.at/HelenHollick 




The Jan Christopher Cosy Mysteries
set in the 1970s

*
The SEA WITCH VOYAGES
nautical adventures set during the Golden Age of Piracy

If you enjoyed the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie
you'll love the Sea Witch Voyages

Coffee Pot Book Club
Bronze Award2022

*
THE SAXON SERIES

The story of the events that led to
The Battle of Hastings in 1066

Harold the King (UK edition)
I Am The Chosen King (US edition)
1066 Turned Upside Down
an anthology of 'What If'' tales
*
The Forever Queen (US edition)
a USA TODAY BESTSELLER
A Hollow Crown (UK edition)

*
KING ARTHUR
The Pendragon's Banner Trilogy

 The Boy Who became a Man:
Who became a King:
Who became a Legend... 

Book 1 -THE KINGMAKING
Coffee Pot Book Club Bronze Award 2023

THE PENDRAGON's BANNER TRILOGY 

US editions

*
Historical Stories of Exile by 13 popular authors 
Cryssa Bazos, Anna Belfrage, Elizabeth Chadwick, Cathie Dunn, 
J.G. Harlond, Helen Hollick, Loretta Livingstone, Amy Maroney 
Alison Morton, Charlene Newcomb, Elizabeth St.John, 
Marian L Thorpe, Annie Whitehead.
With an introduction by Deborah Swift


*

NON-FICTION


*
SUBSCRIBE to Helen's
Thoughts from a Devonshire Farmhouse newsletter
to receive an email reminder of each new post
(1st of every month)
subscribe@helenhollick.co.uk


*



2 comments:

  1. What a great life, Jean. It's so true that a long and fulfilling life gives a writer a rich vein to mine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen