MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Friday 18 January 2019

Novel Conversations with Eileen Stephenson's character Anna Dalassena


 In conjunction with Indie BRAG
every Friday
#IndieBragNovConv 

To be a little different from the usual 'meet the author' 
let's meet a character...
Anna Dalassena
Image result for Image Anna Dalassena
from

Cover of Imperial Passions


Q: Hello, I’m Helen the host of Novel Conversations, please do make yourself comfortable. Would you like a drink? Tea, coffee, wine – something stronger? You’ll find a box of chocolates and a bowl of fruit on the table next to you, please do help yourself. I believe you are a character in Eileen Stephenson’s novel Imperial Passions – The Porta Aurea. Would you like to introduce yourself? Are you a lead character or a supporting role?  
A: I’ll take a glass of that lovely wine, if I may, and a delicious chocolate or two. You know we didn’t have chocolates in my day and I can’t get enough of them when I’m visiting your time. Thank you so much.
I am the lead character of Eileen’s novel, Anna Dalassena. I come from a Byzantine family known for great soldiers and I married a soldier, John Comnenus, the younger brother of the Byzantine emperor, Isaac I Comnenus, and the mother of eight children.

Q: What genre is the novel and what is it about?
A:  Imperial Passions – The Porta Aurea is a biographical historical novel about me. It starts when I am fifteen-years old, an orphan living with my grandparents among the most powerful men and women in the great city Constantinople. But the cutthroat imperial politics of the Great Palace sends my family into exile in a distant corner of the empire. My bleak situation finally turns promising after meeting the handsome young soldier, John Comnenus, and his brother Isaac, before we are all permitted to return home.
The vicious power struggles, uprisings, and betrayals at the highest levels of the empire push John and me unwillingly into its centre as we struggle to deal with our own tragedies. When rebellion puts my life and those of everyone I love at risk, is the reward – a throne for my family – too big a gamble?

Q: It certainly is not Anna, you sound very brave! No spoilers, but are you a ‘goody’ or a ‘baddie’ though? (Or maybe you are both!)
A: I am a good Byzantine wife and mother, of course, but no pushover.

Q:  Tell me about another character in the novel – maybe your best friend, lover or partner … or maybe your arch enemy!
A: Ooh, that would be my archenemy, that awful Constantine Ducas. He was my cousin Xene’s husband and he was absolutely terrible to her – horrible, greedy, selfish, and evil. I can tell you everyone knows how much I loathe that nasty man.

Q: Is this the only novel you have appeared in, or are there others in a series?
A: It is the first so far. But my life’s story is barely half told. The best part is coming in the next book.

Q: What is one of your least favourite scenes you appear in?
A: I need a handkerchief to hold back my tears, thinking about it. That scene would be the violent death of my cousin Xene. I will always blame that nasty Constantine Ducas for it. Have I mentioned how much I hate that man? I think I need another glass of wine.

Q: [Helen hastily pours more wine, offers the chocolates and a handkerchief] Let's change to your favourite scene shall we?
A: It was a risky thing for me to do, but it was when I offered John’s brother, Isaac, my inheritance to use to pay the soldiers he needed to support his bid for the throne. It was either that or there was a real chance that Ducas would win it. I would do anything to stop that awful man from becoming emperor.

Q: [nods] Again, very brave of you. Tell me a little about your author. Has she/he written any other books?
A: My author, Eileen Stephenson, has written another book, Tales of Byzantium, which contains short stories about Byzantines. One of them is about my husband John’s father, and another one is about my brilliant granddaughter, Europe’s first female historian, Anna Comnena. Eileen lives and breathes Byzantine history, an interest sparked when she picked up a book at the library one Saturday, John Julius Norwich’s A Short History of Byzantium. She only recalled brief references to the Byzantines in world history classes, but after reading Norwich, she only wants to write books about them since it appears that few others have the same passionate interest in them as she has developed. I certainly don’t blame her for that; there are too many great Byzantine stories out there waiting to be told.

Eileen Stephenson
Eileen
Q: Is your author working on anything else at the moment?
A: Yes, she is working on two other books. Unfortunately, it appears that few people in your time know much about us Byzantines, and even fewer know much about what happened in the 11th century when I lived. So one of her books will be a brief introduction to all the excitement that went on in that century in Constantinople, the Queen of Cities.
Her other book is a novel about the next 25 years in my life, which were even more exciting than the years she wrote about in her first book.

Q: How do you think indie authors, such as your author, can be helped or supported by readers or groups? What does your author think is the most useful for him/her personally?
A: I think reviews on your favourite book websites – Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes & Noble, BookBub – are the best way to support indie writers and get the word out about some of the truly good books that are out there. Readers and book clubs should also be open to reading books that aren’t traditionally published. The traditional publishing industry seems to be having a difficult time adjusting to your new digital age (so much more complicated that parchment books!) and won’t take a chance on books out of their comfort zone, such as ones taking place in the Byzantine era.
All those book websites have helped my author, but the best way she’s found to get the word out about her books is in the Byzantine history Facebook groups she participates in. Those group members love our history and often buy her books, and leave great reviews. They are really happy to see books written about their favourite characters in history. Her Twitter followers have also been enthusiastic supporters of Byzantine novels. True story – her favourite Facebook group, Roman & Byzantine History, was started by a then 17-year old boy in western England. Thank you Scott Rowland!

Q: Finally, before we bid adieu, the novel you appear in has been awarded a prestigious IndieBRAG Medallion, does your author find this helpful, and is there anything else he/she would like IndieBRAG to do to help indie authors receive the recognition they deserve?
A: Yes, she does. The IndieBRAG Medallion validates all the hard work an author puts into writing a book. Readers who see that review on Goodreads or Amazon can know that it has passed a rigorous review by discerning readers. As for anything else Indie/BRAG could do, I’m not sure but any new marketing ideas are always welcome.

Helen: Thank you Anna Dalassena, it was a pleasure talking to you. Would your author like to add a short excerpt below? While she does so would you like more wine? And another chocolate ... oh, please. do have the last one, I believe it is a coffee cream...Salute! Here’s to being a successful Brag Medallion Honouree!
Anna: Thank you, Helen, for inviting me and for this lovely wine and the chocolates. She does have an excerpt about the bad end of an emperor. Before you read it, let me just say that Byzantine history is not for the faint of heart!  
 
 Imperial Passions – The Porta Aurea, Chapter 7

  The mob poked and taunted Michael and his uncle, making ribald jokes about the old eunuch, nicking them with their swords, spinning them until they fell. Damp spots on their robes showed the fear they felt. Suddenly a beefy man appeared carrying a brazier with several pokers sticking out of it. 
  “Phillip, welcome, we have been waiting for you so this party can begin,” Cabasilas said with sick humor.
  It seemed Michael’s uncle recognized the man before Michael did, and let out a horrified moan before falling into an unnatural silence, resigned to his fate. Michael took a few more seconds before he, too, realized the inevitable. Yet he, instead of accepting the punishment as his uncle did, he fought frantically, if unsuccessfully, against it. Several men took pleasure in restraining him with the occasional fist.
  Phillip came up to the men with his instruments at the ready, the crowd closing in on them. The view from our vantage point was crystal clear.
  Suddenly I heard the eunuch speak, “You there,” to Cabasilas, “make the people stand back, so all can see how bravely I bear my punishment?”
  Cabasilas looked over the crowd before nodding and people spread back in anticipation of the gory show. The old uncle looked in vain for mercy, before lying down on the cold stones, ready for Phillip’s hot irons. Phillip started to bind his victim’s arms but Constantine stopped him.
  “If you see me flinch, then nail me down. Until then, leave me as I am.”
  With a shrug, Phillip took up the first of his hot pokers, touching close to first one eye of the man, and then the other. Constantine took his punishment bravely, not moving or screaming at all, despite the agony he must have felt. Michael, seeing his uncle’s now blind face, began wailing and struggling more. The grinning soldiers forced him to the ground and bound him more tightly. Still he writhed, trying to escape punishment, forcing more men to grab and hold him down. It was not long, though, before he shrieked like a wounded animal from the first touch.
  Voices in the crowd muttered. Most approved what happened, but a few of the women fell back in shock.
  Still they were not finished. Another anguished scream rose from the man who had been emperor, as the poker pierced his other eye.

Cover of Imperial Passions
CONNECT WITH Eileen


Twitter: @ByzyEileen

INDIE BRAG LINKS:
Twitter: @IndieBrag

HELEN HOLLICK:
Subscribe to newsletter:  http://tinyletter.com/HelenHollick
Twitter: @HelenHollick





12 comments:

  1. Interesting interview from an era I'd never heard of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to meet new eras isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yes, it isn't one that many people know about, but they should. We (myself and my author) are trying to remedy that!

      Delete
  2. I must admit I was one of those who knew little of this era and Eileen Stephenson's books opened a whole new world to me! I happen to know Eileen personally and she is so knowledgeable and talented as an author. She is also so generous to other indie authors as a reader for indieBRAG. She is able to share her expertise as an author to those hoping to join the ranks of an award winning B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree author! I can't recommend her books more to those who love this time in history or those open to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very interesting to meet you, Anna. You live in an era and location I know only a little about, but one which is definitely worth finding out more of via stories such as your own. Enjoy your time at Novel Conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All - thank you for your comments to Anna. I hope you've learned a little about the Byzantines. But here are a few other tidbits for you:
    - In the 11th century, literacy was common in the Byzantine Empire down into the middle classes
    - There were women physicians in Byzantium. They were paid half as much as the men, and expected to work twice the hours, but at least they had a job!
    - The first hospitals in Europe were in Constantinople/Byzantium. They were small, usually for less than 50 patients, and were established as charities by wealthy families. Some of them were known for their specialties such as eye diseases, or for the elderly.
    - Because they were so literate, there are quite a few historians who have given us records of the time, including, of course, Anna Dalassena's granddaughter, Anna Comnena, who was Europe's first female historian.
    - Unlike the western Roman Empire, the Byzantine Empire had more than a few women rulers. One of them, Irene the Athenian who lived at the same time as Charlemagne, actually deposed and blinded her own son to take it.

    You can check my website for the various blogs I've done on Byzantine history to learn more about this amazing civilization.

    Thank you, Helen, for inviting Anna Dalassena to Novel Conversations. I think she may have enjoyed your delicious wine too much and is now napping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know little about this period/city, but after meeting Anna I will soon know more. It was an interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating interview, and I'd certainly like to know more about the first female historian, Anna Comnena. I bought a copy of the Alexiad years ago but haven't had chance to read it yet - time to bump it up the TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the trouble with TBR piles, they tend to multiply!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen