MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Tuesday 29 January 2019

Tuesday Talk from pirates to smugglers

pre-order from Amazon
On Thursday, 31st January, my latest book, another non-fiction, Smugglers in Fact and Fiction will be released. I was commissioned to write it after the exciting success of Pirates Truth and Tales. I admit I wasn't quite sure if I could manage another non-fiction book, and did I know enough about smugglers anyway? After all those rogues the pirates are my main interest...

Pen and Sword publishing are introducing a new Paperback* series and wanted Smugglers to be the opening gambit. Quite a responsibility, for the first in the series must show some sort of good impression.
*having literally just received my copies - it is in paperback, not hardback as shown on Amazon) 

It wasn't easy writing it though, as, being the first in a series, I had no template to guide me with what sort of format or how the publisher wanted it. There were quite a few re-writes to get it right, a sort of 'question and answer' style with a 'dip-in-and-out-of ' formula. Fingers crossed that it all works!

One of the things that I really enjoyed about producing this book was discovering new things that I did not know. A big one, as I was informed by a true Maid Of Kent, is that you should not refer to Romney Marsh as The Romney Marsh ... no 'the'. Well, I never knew that!

Romney Marsh 
(© purchased image)
Along with many people, I suspect, I assumed smugglers worked in small groups - seafaring village folk bringing in a few kegs of brandy or packets of tobacco to sell for profit to add to the meagre wages they earned. The scenes in Poldark where Ross does his share of smuggling runs, Moonfleet, and Kipling's poem: 'Brandy for the parson, baccy for the clerk...Watch the wall my darling, while the Gentlemen go by...' We have an image, mostly from movies and novels, of a tall ship riding at anchor in a moonlit, secluded bay with the 'Gentleman' cheerfully hauling kegs of contraband ashore, then disappearing silently into the night shadows to hide their ill-gotten gains from the excise men in a dark cave or a secret cellar.

Lyme Bay, Dorset
where many a smuggler smuggled!
(photo © Tony Smith)
But I discovered that smuggling was big business - it still is - that yes, maybe in Cornwall and Devon the Free Trade was confined to quiet coves, brought ashore in fishing boats and dispatched through a few local families - all of it small-scale, local-based. It was very different in Dorset, Sussex and Kent. There the smuggling was organised by the leaders of huge gangs - gangs of maybe up to 100 men. This was Big Business and there was very little that the Excise Men could do to prevent it.

A Smuggler 
(technically, a 'tubman')
Drawing by ©Mia Pelletier
I enjoyed discovering who these derring-do rebels of the past were, why so many people went against paying taxes on the importation of goods - tea, salt, lace... I found it fascinating to discover who purchased the contraband - and what was smuggled. How the smugglers operated and where the most notorious locations were. And was smuggling profitable, or was it an inevitable path to arrest and the hangman's noose?


And I'm delighted to be able to share with you all these things  - and more - for the Life of a Smuggler, the Fact and the Fiction will be as interesting for you to read as it was for me to write it! Well, I hope it will!

(And for those who are wondering: yes, my pirate, Jesamiah Acorne will be involved in smuggling in a future Voyage! ) 


Buy from Amazon
(now in paperback)
GIVEAWAY
all the names, from here and Facebook went into the hat
the winner was
Elizabeth Anne Millard

12 comments:

  1. After reading Pirates, I cannot wait to read this new book. Please include my name in the draw! (You know where to find me ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'd love to be included, please. You have my email addy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This surely will be another fascinating read from you, Helen, about more "bad boys."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great names some of them had. Hezekiah Baines stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a note of some of the names - super for characters in novels!

      Delete
  5. I so look foreward to having this book in my hands. Thank you, for giving us yet another book. Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tanks Judith - but I'll need a contact email if you want to enter the giveaway?

      Delete
  6. I am so looking forward to this book! Great to hear it's out now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm directly descended from the Gillham family through my paternal grandmother, Frances Cole, so would be fascinated to read the book. I'd love to be included in the give away draw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. email address for Frances Cole's grand-daughter is sandrasilvester@fastmail.fm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen