MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Tuesday 22 January 2019

Tuesday Talk: a tribute to my Dad, Frederick Richard Turner M.M.


born : West Ham, London, 22nd September 1917 
died  : 19th January 1992

Fred 'Toby' Turner
My Dad. To most people, their Dad is a hero, occasionally for undertaking a public heroic deed, more often because, well, he's Dad, so of course he is a hero. My Dad really was a hero of WWII, although unrecognised for it, and also a hero to me personally because he saved my life (or at least potential serious injury.)

Like many thousands of other young men Dad was captured as a prisoner of war. He joined up with the 1st Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps (the Rangers) in 1939. In 1941, as Corporal, he was the only officer who survived an air attack by the Germans on the island of Crete - and took it upon himself to lead the rest of the men to safety - unfortunately they were captured and interred as POWs. Based originally at a prison camp in Austria, many of the men were moved elsewhere, and during the transfer volunteers were sought to change their identity. Dad went into the transport train as Corp., F.R. Turner and left it as Flt. Lt. Rex Reynolds, a fighter pilot, an identity he kept until the Russians freed the prison on April 22nd 1945. (The switches were needed because officers did not go outside the camp on the labour rosters - the ordinary men did, so as Fred Turner, the real Rex Reynolds had a chance to attempt escape - which he did on many occasions.)

Dad could not risk writing to his parents at their home address in London, so wrote to his fiancee - Iris, (my Mum) instead, saying he had lost his address book and would she pass the letter on, and signed it as 'Rex'.

Mum took a while to cotton on, but eventually went to the War Office, where the change of identity was authenticated and explained. 

Meanwhile, Dad, as Rex Reynolds, had been transferred to Stalag Luft 3 near the Polish border, where he became involved with the famous 'Wooden Horse' escape attempt... the one where they concealed the entrance to tunnels beneath wooden vaulting horses and scattered the earth that was removed by drawstring bags hidden down their trouser legs ... except prior to this they hid bags full of earth in the rafters of their accommodation huts ... with the result being one of my Dad's sketched drawings that he had in his diary...

Christmas Day 1943

A water colour painting, by Dad,  of the US airforce
bombing the area around the prison camp
prior to the release of prisoners.
Dad rarely mentioned his wartime experiences, all I recall as a child is being puzzled about why he would never eat brown bread. (I later discovered that it reminded him of the coarse stuff they had in the camp).

Of course, it goes without saying that had Dad been found out he would have been shot.

* * *

For myself and that 'saving my life' episode, after the war Dad joined the Royal Marines Voluntary Reserve and I vaguely remember him in his uniform. We moved to Chingford, which was, then, in Essex, (now a part of the London Borough of Waltham Forest) in the summer of 1956 and our house was at the top of a steep hill overlooking the Lee Valley. It was a very hot afternoon, I was about five years old. We must have been going to a Royal Marine 'do', perhaps a summer fete, or party or something, for Dad was wearing full uniform. He was getting ready indoors, I was waiting in the car - a green Morris Minor. I was on the back seat playing with either a plastic telescope or recorder (I think the former,) when suddenly the car started rolling. Down the hill. I remember being terrified and leaning out the window and screaming while bashing the plastic toy on the door. The car got faster - Dad was indoors upstairs, saw what was happening and raced down, vaulted the gate and ran... the car had those old fashioned running boards on the outside, he managed to jump on, lean through the window and steer the car into the kerb.

What happened after that I have no idea - except Dad had severely sprained his ankle. Had he not been able to stop the car... well, like I said, it was a steep hill with several parked cars lower down  the road and a busy main road at the bottom. If Dad hadn't stopped the car I very much doubt that I would be sitting here now writing this.

There is a lot more information here:
https://www.helenhollick.co.uk/h2uitem24.html on my website, including an audio interview that Dad made for the Imperial War Museum, London, archives. I have never listened beyond the first few sentences as, well, I can't, it's too upsetting for me.

There are also page copies of his diary and other memorabilia ... you are more than welcome to browse or to use the information for research purposes, but please mention 
www.helenhollick.net WWII F.R.Turner M.M

The last time I saw my Dad alive was on January 18th 1992 in A & E at Whipps Cross Hospital, NE London, where he had been taken by ambulance with a suspected heart attack. I was waiting outside (what I assume was the triage room?) the door opened, he saw me and we smiled and waved to each other. I never saw him alive again.

He passed away in the early hours of the 19th.


I miss you, Dad.

23 comments:

  1. Truly a hero on both counts. Interestingly, I went to school with the son of a man who had been a part of the Wooden Horse escape - his name was Frank James but I don't think he actually was part of the escape. But what a lovely way to remember your dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad wasn't an'escapee' - he couldn't even try because if compromising his change of identity. I think he had bags of earth down his trousers though. Have you read the Wooden Horse by Eric Williams?

      Delete
  2. Brave man! What did he get the Military Medal for, Helen? Was it for Crete? They were only awarded for specific acts of bravery in the Second World War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Crete. He witnessed some dreadful things there and led the troop down off the mountains. I think the whole story is there on the audio tape which is on my website.

      Delete
  3. Hi Helen,
    I can see that you loved your Dad very much as I loved mine. He was my hero but of course he didn't perform heroic deeds like yours. He was a good father and his loss was too deep to think about without becoming tearful. But Helen, we are the lucky ones because we had fathers who loved us and we them.
    I'll end by raising my full glass of the good stuff and say, cheers to our Dads, may they never be forgotten.
    Fond regards,
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas I never appreciated my dad as much as I should have done - teenager and all that :-( I very much regret not taking more interest in his interests. He WAS a good Dad and he deserved better in his later years than he got.

      Delete
  4. By the way Helen, I also lived in Chingford, in Drysdale Avenue which led off from the bottom of King's Head Hill which gave me plenty of access to Epping Forest.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! When? Dad was a councillor for that area! (I know Drysdale very well!) He was responsible for getting the bus route from Chingford Station to Yardley Lane Estate up and running.

      Delete
  5. Brave and amazing man, your father. We should all be proud of men and women like him who served in such ways. Be rightly proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very moving, Helen - you are rightly proud of him. Surely a book in there somewhere...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a wonderful novel - but alas it's too close to the heart for me to write it - plus I don't know enough research detail about WWII ... happy for anyone who is knowledgeable to think about writing it though!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful story. As you say all dads are heroes, but yours truly was. No wonder you're so proud of him, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic story, Helen, and I'm sure that your dad would be really proud of your achievements too! It's men like your dad that gave so much for unreservedly and unconditionally so that we could live in the peace we have. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story Helen - I hope you'll hand it on to future generations long into the future. Freedom doesn't come free. Best wishes and thanks for sharing: Antoine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad's diary and recorded account are kept safe for the use of research, and just to keep everything properly archived at the Imperial War Museum, London.

      Delete
  10. Lovely story and tribute, Helen. Truly an extraordinary generation. Those who returned melted back into every day life and rarely talked about the war. My father was RAF, and my mother a firewatcher in the city. They married in '42. Thank you for making me stop and remember them this morning. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad only talked about the war in his late years. The mental scars left him with depression and a short temper - I wish I'd known the effects of the war on him when he was alive - when I was much younger and not so 'years wise'.

      Delete
  11. Dear Sir,
    I am interested in Stalag Luft 3 for over 35 years and I have met and corresponded with many ex.-p.o.w.'s of Stalag Luft 3 through the years. To make a long story short, this all resulted in my book about Stalag Luft 3, "The Camera Became My Passport Home"- large size hardcover book of 640 pages. The story of your father and Rex Reynolds is included. Please mail me at b_v_drogenbroek@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen