MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Monday 11 May 2020

Tuesday Talk - Great Reads for Great Relaxation



As most of my readers and friends know, 
I take great pleasure in helping, 
where I can, to promote my fellow author friends 
who write super novels.

I do admit it gets a tad irritating when I have various guest posts by different authors who don't reciprocate, or even bother to say thank you for the post I've laboured over to promote them, but that's a grumble common to most of us authors who understand the importance of polite marketing, so I'll moan about it another day!

But I thought I'd take the opportunity (while many of us are still in a Lockdown stay at home environment) to do a little 'suggest a couple of good books to read' promotion.

So I've selected a couple of VERY good authors who have published a novella... ah do I hear you ask: "What is a novella?"
Basically, a novella is a literary genre of written fiction shorter than a full-length novel but longer than a short story. They are typically about 60 to 120 pages, or 7,500 to 40,000 words. (There's a good explanation below  - although I don't agree with all the points made - my novella, for instance does have chapters AND a sub-plot...) 

Anyway: This is my novella, a prequel story to the Sea Witch Voyages

e-book from Amazon
* * * 
What if...? 
What if Harold Godwineson had not become King of England in 1066? What if Harald Hardrada had won at Stamford Bridge? What if Duke William had been defeated at sea? What if Harold had won at Hastings? 

Eleven stories by nine authors investigating these possible alternatives for the year of the Battle of Hastings - 1066

authors include: Anna Belfrage, Annie Whitehead, Alison Morton (me!)  and others.

Does 1066 Turned Upside Down count as a novella? Actually, no because it is an anthology of short stories but I have two stories in it and this is my blog - so any complaints about including it here will be ignored! *laugh*

e-book: buy on Amazon

* * * 
Nexus by Alison Morton is an exciting alternative fiction thriller-type adventure set in the made-up world of Roma Nova.

http://Author.to/AlisonMortonAmazon
NEXUS:
A favour for a friend or a bullet in the heart?

Aurelia Mitela is serving as Roma Nova’s ambassador in London. But a spate of high-level killings wrenches her away from helping a friend into leading a pan-European investigation. Badly beaten in Rome as a warning, she is devastated when the killers kidnap her companion, Miklós, and send an ultimatum: Back off or he’ll die. 

But Aurelia is a Roma Novan and they never give up…

Set in the mid 1970s between AURELIA and INSURRECTIO in the Aurelia Mitela Roma Nova adventures


Alison Morton writes the award-winning Roma Nova series featuring modern Praetorian heroines – "intelligent adventure thrillers with heart." She puts this down to her deep love of Roman history, six years’ military service, a masters' in history and an over-vivid imagination. She blogs, reads, cultivates a Roman herb garden and drinks wine in France with her husband.

Nexus compliments six full-length Roma Nova novels.

Connect with Alison on her Roma Nova site: https://alison-morton.com



* * *
Lucienne Boyce writes murder-mystery police investigation novels - but with a difference, for Dan Foster is a Bow Street Runner...


In the winter of 1794 Bow Street Runner and amateur pugilist, Dan Foster, is assigned to guard a Royal Mail coach. The mission ends in tragedy when a young constable is shot dead by a highwayman calling himself Colonel Pepper. Dan is determined to bring the killer to justice, but the trail runs cold.
Then Dan is sent to Staffordshire to recover a recently-excavated hoard of Roman gold which has gone missing. Here he unexpectedly encounters Colonel Pepper again. The hunt is back on – and this time Dan will risk his life to bring down Pepper and his gang.

The Fatal Coin is a prequel to Bloodie Bones, the first Dan Foster Mystery.


* * * 


Another slight cheat - Richard's Melody Mayhem is an anthology of short stories, not a novella - but so what? They are a cracking set of cracking good reads! 

Reviews:
"A wisp of a dream, the echo of a song you barely remember. These stories take inspiration and give it wings."

"Richard Tearle has a knack of dropping you into the world of recent history so you feel like you remember the 50s and 60s, whether you were there or not."

"From contemporary to historical, Richard Tearle invites the reader to come on a journey where characters come to life and storylines are both funny and poignant."

"I enjoyed all these stories, the historical and the contemporary, and particularly liked the clever and introspective Windows."

"Richard Tearle's short stories are delivered with a light touch and yet are full of character, atmosphere and deep emotions."


Buy from Amazon

Richard was my guest last week ...click HERE


Video link: what is a novella?
https://study.com/academy/lesson/novella-definition-lesson-quiz.html



5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list of recommendations! I so enjoyed working on 1066 Turned Upside Down and thought When the Mermaid Sings was a fabulous read and a great way to provide some back story to the Sea Witch series. Richard's collections of short stories is a delight. I haven't read the others mentioned here, but there's an easy way to put that right. Have Kindle, will read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh!!! Thank you for including me - and alongside great and proven authors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve read all of the works by the other authors and thoroughly recommend them! Manners forbid me commenting on my own writing, but I’ve loved writing them and was thrilled to contribute to 1066 Turned Upside Down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1066 Turned Upside Down was an impressive anthology, which introduced me to some exciting 'new' authors - and a few I knew. So, you've added some new temptations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Helen, I'm thrilled to be on this list! I was quite nervous about writing a novella but in the end I really enjoyed it, it's a great format and one I shall try again some time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen