MORE to BROWSE - Pages that might be of Interest

Wednesday 5 May 2021

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - Helen's Musings...

a post about me thinking about things
... or more probably
just some random ramblings...
















The bright horizon of defeating Covid-19 is in everyone’s hopes and hearts, although with all the new variants appearing, and so many countries experiencing new surges, whether we will ever be free of this pandemic is debatable. Still, I’ve had my jab (second one booked) and I don’t want to boast (but I’m going to) as I write this the ‘toll’ for new cases in North Devon was... one.

When I attended A & E for my injured hands (I had a nasty fall back in April - fell flat on my face, on concrete whilst leading a horse) I got into conversation with the consultant and he mentioned that there was only one case of Covid in the hospital. Which is good news for North Devon – but then we are very rural here, with a higher population of sheep and cattle than people!

Out of interest, our conversation also included the myth that ‘horses do not stomp on people who are beneath their hooves’. The bruise on my thigh (now a fading yellow colour) proves they do (albeit not deliberately!). The consultant mentioned that he used to be the attending medical doctor at local point-to-points. "Believe me", he said, "horses DO tread on people!"

I didn’t need convincing! I know they do!

Talking of my poor old hands though, here we are in May and both of them remain in the definite ‘ouch’ department. Left hand has a confirmed fracture at the base of the thumb. Left hand is now in plaster.

Right hand, I thought was just bruised, but some recently experienced loud cracks followed by "Ouch that hurts" may also indicate more than mere bruising. Still, I soldier on with using the index finger of each hand to type – and I can, just about, use the right thumb for the space bar – though often with not enough strength, so I have to do a lot of back-spacing.

It is very tedious!

Anyway… I haven’t really minded lockdown, although I do miss meeting fellow writers at conferences and festivals – Zoom isn’t the same. Emails have saved the day for me, especially when ‘chatting’ to friends – really good friends who have the humour to write things like: 

I have writer "friends" who, it turns out, only have writing in common with me and that's all they want to talk about (mainly because they want something!) and then I have nutter friends who talk bras, knickers, horses, dogs AND writing. And they're the ones that are keepers.’

That's what  a real friend is!

We were talking underwear as it's really hard putting on or taking off anything with elastic if you can’t use your hands to stretch the darn stuff! As for needing a wee in a hurry... *eye roll*

I can’t cut up my dinner, carry anything heavy, open any bottles or jars, squeeze things like tomato ketchup or toothpaste, can't hold the bannisters, and I have given up trying to do anything glamorous with my hair. As for putting socks on… forget it.

Moral of the story: Don’t fall flat on your face whilst leading a horse that is twice your size!


Me bandaged up -
with Franc who 
tripped me up!


4 comments:

  1. You are one brave gal; though I am glad to see a fence between you and that rambunctious boy. But those hands need healing while you should be getting lots of pampering. Sending good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* pampering? Is that a strange US custom Inge? ... doesn't seem to happen here!

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed that you continue to write and publish blog posts in your current predicament. I promise to take your advice and steer clear of horses, but the falling over bit... maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are still quite wiggly - fortunately!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it should appear soon. If you are having problems, contact me on author AT helenhollick DOT net and I will post your comment for you. That said ...SPAMMERS or rudeness will be composted or turned into toads.

Helen